New shop and beginner woodworker

11 minutes ago, mat60 said:

What's funny for me is now that I have had my 3HP saw for quite a while there are times I think I would like a 5.   Do I need one.  NO.

man, I hear you. I finally hit a point a few years ago where I just had to pump the brakes on buying WW stuff. Thankfully, that period of insanity ended when I discovered the joys of turning, and the endless tools, chucks, tapers, lathes, and blanks that come along with it brought that to a real quick end!

• Like 1

Me too. I had a delta 1 1/2 hp contractor saw. Built my own oak base. It worked. But I trained on better. So when I got my Delta 3 hp unisaw, I was better. I also upgraded my Asian jointer for my 3 hp delta 8" at the same time. There are better jointers, but I can't complain.

I never liked the sweeping and cleaning out sander bags and saws etc. In my wonderful informal apprenticeship, on my first day the boss recites a poem "around the house around the house behind the kitchen door". I didn't know what he was talking about. He wanted me to get the broom and sweep. He always repeated the poem if he wanted me to sweep...He had the very best tools...A 1940's unisaw and all the rest.

14 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

So when I got my Delta 3 hp unisaw, I was better. I also upgraded my Asian jointer for my 3 hp delta 8" at the same time.

I like your style. Go big or go home. I currently only have 120v  service in the shop. When I was putting the shop together i ran a few new circuits with 4-plex outlet boxes waist high and every 4 feet. That was a good move. When I pull the trigger on that SawStop I will obviously have to go up to 230V service. I can see that being very dangerous as suddenly my 6" jointer will not be powerful enough. Nor will my dust collectors. Nor will my <fill in the blank>. 

Actually, though - Table Saw and Jointer and lathe are really the only 3 that I would want the bigger motor on. And maaaaybe a monster dust collector.

Aside from those, my bandsaw, drill press, routers, planer, miter saw and whatever else I am forgetting are fine for me on household current. 

• 2 weeks later...

You've got the beginnings of a great shop, and the one thing you can never have enough of: SPACE! 

It's good to think about lighting. I mainly use 4' fluorescents in my shop. 

The other thing to think of is electrical needs. When I built my shop in my 2-1/2 car garage, I installed seven 4-plex outlet boxes, about 4' up on the 2 walls that are my primary work area - and a few on the roof joists - all on their own circuit. That was the best move I made, as I always have an available outlet no Matter Where I am or what configuration my machines are in, and they don't share power with everything else in the shop. I can run any tool and dust collection simultaneous without issue. 

Anyways, sorry about the tangent. Great Looking start on your shop and it's so great to see someone come into the craft with enthusiasm and a great area for a shop. 

Best of luck!

AJ

13 minutes ago, applejackson said:

You've got the beginnings of a great shop, and the one thing you can never have enough of: SPACE! 

It's good to think about lighting. I mainly use 4' fluorescents in my shop. 

The other thing to think of is electrical needs. When I built my shop in my 2-1/2 car garage, I installed seven 4-plex outlet boxes, about 4' up on the 2 walls that are my primary work area - and a few on the roof joists - all on their own circuit. That was the best move I made, as I always have an available outlet no Matter Where I am or what configuration my machines are in, and they don't share power with everything else in the shop. I can run any tool and dust collection simultaneous without issue. 

Anyways, sorry about the tangent. Great Looking start on your shop and it's so great to see someone come into the craft with enthusiasm and a great area for a shop. 

Best of luck!

AJ

Yeah I will need upgrade the electric when I get bigger tools in the future. Currently each wall has 3 double-outlets and are on separate circuits, however only 15 amp

The makeshift crown looks great. I've always been a fan of LED lights. Menards has some that aren't terrible that i can buy for $19 on sale and they put out 4200 lumens. They are 48" bars and work great. I don't' direct wire them just put one of those light socket adapters that has 2 outlet plugs on either side and plug them into existing fixture. Then if i ever leave the house the lights come with me.

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up a 1924 JA Fay and Egan Jointer to be put into the shop but now I need to put in some new electrical. The jointer is single phase and could be run on a 20amp circuit but I figured I would put a 30 amp just Incase. I want to get a dust collector on the future as well as other larger 240volt tools(sawstop, planer, dust collector, bandsaw). How many circuits and what size would you all recommend? I figure I should put atleast an  outlet on each wall and maybe one in the ceiling for the table saw. I am looking for the best option to try and futureproof myself as much as I can.

The best recommendation I can make is to sit down and make a list of your ideal shop machines. And their electrical needs of course. And be realistic to, my ideal table saw would be a 3-phase 7.5 horsepower sawstop, but I'm never ever going to have three phase power in my garage so that's not realistic. 220 is though. So make yourself a list of what you have now, and what you realistically could see yourself moving into in the next 5 to 10 years and then simply count the machines and plan Outlets accordingly. In terms of how many circuits, probably 2 to 3 would be sufficient for most shops. If you're putting in 220 and make sure that you put in a couple other outlets besides where that machine is currently located to allow yourself to reconfigure in the future

@wdwerker that was my point, that I'd never ever get 3 phase service in my garage, so wanting such a machine is unrealistic. It was a pseudo-facetious example of what not to plan for As you try and anticipate your electrical needs in the future.

Maybe it didn't come across that way. I'm more comfortable working with a nice stick of bird's eye maple than I am with a keyboard! ;)

Thanks for weighing in though, take care and work safe, sir.

• Thanks 1

I have a seperate circuit for the lights and I strongly recommend this.  If you blow a breaker you don't want to loose the lights, too.  

I have 4 different 20a 110v circuits for general power.  There are two circuits on the N wall and 2 on the S.  Each quad outlet then has one pair of receptacles for one circuit and another pair for the second circuit so I can spread the power draw around.  

The quad boxes are probably every 10 feet, but I wish I had spaced them closer.  

220v you may need more of than you think.  Each circuit should only supply one outlet so first comes the question of what locations.  

Then there's how many pieces of equipment.  Table saw; jointer; planer.  But don't forget DC, "experts" say you need 3 to 5 HP.  Are you doing electric heat?  That'll be another 220.  Oh and did I mention that the big bandsaws are often 220.  

Not trying to make this sound impossibe, but as to future proof, that's a tall order.

Many folks will recommend having a sub-panel installed in the shop, to help faciliate future growth and/or changes. 

A typical home hobby shop, even with multiple 220 machines, can do fine with a 60 amp panel. We don't typically run more than 2 big loads (DC + cutting or milling) at one time. Seems like Marc may have gone for a 100 amp or larger panel, but even in his shop, that's probably overkill.

• Like 1

Well you are starting out with a space that's better than what I have been using for the last 30 years. Good for you, it will make everything funner. 

To my eye the white paint makes it a completely different environment.  You may not think it was worth the effort but I do...LOL

If you have the cash for all the new / used tools you're getting / planning to get go for it.  Speaking from experience though, financing this hobby (or most anything else that falls into the frivolous categories) isn't worth it. 

The tools you inherited are plenty good tools and it's worth learning to use what you already have before jumping into the upgrade rabbit hole.  I fight the upgraderittis syndrome very often myself, sometimes I come to my senses, sometimes I don't.

A few others have recommended doing the traditional crawling, walking, running progression and I fall into that camp too.  

You have a terrific foundation in place already.   True up your tools, build yourself a really accurate crosscut sled for the tablesaw.  Build some shop cabinets / tool carts with drawers to start honing your skills.   

Good luck to you.