Setup Blocks

ben_r_

LINK

main_setup-blocks-3_d-2-550.jpg

Well, never really know what to say about setup blocks... They're blocks, and they're different thicknesses. Oh and because they're red they cost a lot of money and can come in a Systainer!

Do any of you swear by setup blocks for any tasks? They are always marketed for setting up router bit and blade heights, cutting dados, and setting up bandsaw cuts but I always feel those measurements are almost never in perfect 1/16" or even 1/32" increments so what good would setup blocks be since they are fixed?!

I do own and use occasionally the Jessem Tool Setting Gauge (LINK) which is essentially the same thing as a whole bunch of setup blocks in one easier to use and store device, but for anything not in a perfect 1/16" increment I bust out the digital calipers or possibly my combination square depending on the task.

I just use my calipers. Although there are situations where it's hard to get the internal jaws in straight, but not $180 worth. 

My precision triangles, 18" speed square and framing square came in very handy when I was truing up my new miter saw. 

I'm with ya on making the ones i need from wood. I used to use them more but not so much any more. The sneak up on the fit is usually what i do.

I do find them funny when finding the perfect top of the arc a saw blade makes is not really an accurate task. These blocks probably provide machinist accuracy for a hobby that doesn't require it, at least not in depth of cut.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The sneak up on the fit is usually what i do.

This!!!

But I think that if I were to buy anything it would be the Kreg.  They have the arched center design which is nice for both the apex of the saw blade and router bits.

33 minutes ago, Chet said:

This!!!

But I think that if I were to buy anything it would be the Kreg.  They have the arched center design which is nice for both the apex of the saw blade and router bits.

Which Kreg are you referring to?

I have the Kreg set that I bought near the end of a year when it was advantageous to spend some money on tools to drop a tax bracket.   I remember using them once.  Then later, a good friend of mine died, leaving me all this tools, including a set of Starrett blocks, but I've never used them either. 

The plan for the Kregs was to keep them in a drawer under the tablesaw extension table, but I never have time to work on my stuff, so the drawer is not there yet.

Make offer on Kregs.   edited to add:   I think they're Kreg only because they're blue.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian