lewisc

Rip-it automated tablesaw fence

I saw this on another forum. Cool idea. It'd be awesome to not have to use a ruler again on the tablesaw.

• Like 1

I don't set my table saw fence to exact dimensions that often, hardly ever actually. If i do i always have different sized blades so calibrating every cut seems like it'd be a nightmare. Cool idea for a fabrication shop though.

Yeah for a Fab shop looking to automate without the $300,000 cabinet box building machine, this fence with a few pre loaded settings could be helpful. I don't really see it as a value add in my shop.

I have a Wixey Digital Read Out on my Delta Unisaw with a Delta Unifence. I can set the fence to a position, make the cut, then move the fence to a second position and make another cut, then move the fence back to the first position and make a second cut at this position, and both the first cutpiece and this second cut piece will be within 0.003" of each other when measured with a digital caliper. Other than having the fence move to position automatically, I can't see where buying one of these would be of any benefit at all.  It certainly isn't much effort for me to have to move my Unifence by hand. 

Charley

• Like 1

I trust my use of a ruler. I could never trust an automated fence. I trust my driving skills, and could never trust a driverless automobile either.

• Like 2

Looks nice, but I can't see it being any faster or easier than a Wixey, and the Wixey is way cheaper.

How much is it?

One day I want a tigerstop system for the slider's crosscut fence, but it would probably be a purchase that came along with the used saw i was buying at the time. Cant say i would ever buy one separately to add to a saw. 

It's cool, but- at least to me- mostly just in that- "ooh, neat, new shiny!!!" sort of way. I don't really see the big advantage of it over a $100 Wixey digital gauge, or a $400 Incra TS-LS fence- both of which are already available (no worries about a failed or shady Kickstarter project team running off with your money...) and offer a high level of precision and repeatability.

Also, based on the design shown- the fence has a flat top and flat sides, which means you lose the ability to use any sort of attachments with it like many other fences offer that have T tracks on the top or sides.

If this was actually in production, I would MAYBE have considered it at the $500 "early bird" price... $800 is really stretching it... and the $1200 supposed retail price is borderline insane.

1 hour ago, Kurt Triebe said:

It's cool, but- at least to me- mostly just in that- "ooh, neat, new shiny!!!" sort of way. I don't really see the big advantage of it over a $100 Wixey digital gauge, or a $400 Incra TS-LS fence- both of which are already available (no worries about a failed or shady Kickstarter project team running off with your money...) and offer a high level of precision and repeatability.

Also, based on the design shown- the fence has a flat top and flat sides, which means you lose the ability to use any sort of attachments with it like many other fences offer that have T tracks on the top or sides.

If this was actually in production, I would MAYBE have considered it at the $500 "early bird" price... $800 is really stretching it... and the $1200 supposed retail price is borderline insane.

And it ain't green.