My biggest garage/small-shop frustration

Every flat surface becomes a catch-all.

Even after I convert everything to drawers I may not have enough storage space.

So the follow-up question is what to (a) store and (b) purge. Where "purge" means (1) sell or (2) donate to a thrift shop. It  never means throw away.

I'd really like to build the bandsaw into a table so it would have a large outfeed for some of my planks. But I can't find that anyone has ever done that.

Excursus: It seems that a 14" bandsaw is the minimum for serious shop work. It will do a lot but when it comes to the larger stock, though it does the job, it does the job slower. And that modest table size turns handling large stock into a two-person job. I guess that's why 17" is so popular. Not much more money for something far more capable.

24 minutes ago, collinb said:

Can't say that I don't share this problem or that I have THE cure.  I have bought inexpensive shelves (on wheels) to be the flat spaces where it's OK to leave things.  

I also have a few of those folding workbenches/tables that I will use during a project.  The rule is they have to be folded and stored at the end of the project.  So everything on 'em has to be put away.

36 minutes ago, collinb said:

I'd really like to build the bandsaw into a table so it would have a large outfeed for some of my planks. But I can't find that anyone has ever done that.

I've wondered the same thing.  I don't see any reason you shouldn't do it.

I would not want to have my band saw built into an auxiliary table because that would essentially set it at 90. I like being able to tilt the table and cut angles. The ts blade moves for this purpose, I want the same functionality from my band saw. Also any larger surface sound the table would just make it a bigger pita to change blades, adjust bearings and general maintenance. 

I guess I'll also say that nobody here is going to be able to answer your "what to keep, what not to question with any remote sense of authority. Every single person will be different in the answer.  I may be able to help with the process though but your honestly with yourself is the only way it works.

Initially go through your tools and separate everything you have NOT USED for a project in 6 months to a year. Separate those two into stuff you would part with if it helps the cause and things you wouldn't. 

Sort through the Can Go pile and set aside the things that can go, right now. Process those as you will.

Store your two remaining piles (not often used but staying & not often used, can go later) piles in different Rubbermaid bins or shelf's or just separate area and put a piece of paper in there with the date and tool list. When you use something from the can go box, note it on the paper. If you tally a few times on that tool, it should probably go to the stays here box.  After six months, purge the can go box, and re assess for tools you haven't used in 6 months to a year.

I agree with Brendon on the band saw!  I just simply would not want to limit its capabilities.

As for the tools/storage, I count steps in the shop.  I think I've said this before here but, essentially, those items that I use frequently have homes that are closest to my primary work location.  Those that I use least have homes the furthest away from my primary work location.  Also, once something has a "home", I make a habit of putting them away.  Because of this, I can usually tidy up my shop in about 20 minutes even after the messier projects.  This really does help the "horizontal surface" problem that we all have.  

So, when it comes time to think about "purging", I always start the furthest away from my primary work location.  I also don't get "sentimental" with the material items.  If I'm not using it, it goes.  I always try to find another woodworker that can use the item and usually give them away.  There are a few here that have gotten some of that stuff and it's always cool to see some of that stuff show up in projects here!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

That's nifty.

And if I build it right it could be turned 90 degrees to handle longer pieces.

(If only I'd scrolled down I'd have seen that the extension also fits as outfeed. D'oh!)

Edited by collinb
oops

5 hours ago, collinb said:

So the follow-up question is what to (a) store and (b) purge. Where "purge" means (1) sell or (2) donate to a thrift shop. It  never means throw away.

Excursus: It seems that a 14" bandsaw is the minimum for serious shop work. It will do a lot but when it comes to the larger stock, though it does the job, it does the job slower. And that modest table size turns handling large stock into a two-person job. I guess that's why 17" is so popular. Not much more money for something far more capable.

How much space do you have?

What machines/tools do you consider important and indispensible?

What do you build, or would like to build?

The footprint of a 14" bandsaw is much the same as a 17". You cannot convert a 14" into a 17" by adding a riser kit (been there, done that). For resawing, the frame needs to be stiff to carry wider blades. Adding a riser just creates a longer noodle. Get the larger saw, but check the blade it can tension.

Regards from Perth

Derek

33 minutes ago, collinb said:

And if I build it right it could be turned 90 degrees to handle longer pieces.

I think so.  And is there a law against two, in and out feed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brendon_t said:

I guess I'll also say that nobody here is going to be able to answer your "what to keep, what not to question with any remote sense of authority. Every single person will be different in the answer.  I may be able to help with the process though but your honestly with yourself is the only way it works.

On that matter I was merely venting a bit. Tx.

Drawers are a good start.  Also make use of vertical space - i.e. walls.  Hang tools or items on wall space where they're organized and easily reachable when needed.  Locate them where they might be used most.  Saws near where you saw most, planes near your planing area, etc.  Hanging tool chests of various types can work well for organization and space efficiency.

I'll +1 what Brendon suggested above about sorting through stuff and "storing" the least frequently used items.  Don't hammer veneer a lot?  Put all that stuff in a bin or something that can either be stored elsewhere, or stored in the shop so it doesn't take a lot of space.