Mick S

Love that first coat of finish!

Good lord Mick! Heck of a job. I like everything about it and as the list would be long, I’ll leave it at that. And as I love mesquite, I’ll probably dream of this tonight. Yep, a retro journal goes without saying. And the upholstery and final finish will be of what? 

• Like 1

Thanks Coop! I know we share a love of mesquite - the little black hair lines, the variations of color. THE SMELL! 

• Like 1

They are bent lam, but I "core banded" them, meaning that I faced them with solid wood.

• Like 2

I’m thinking, knowing you, Buffalo hide for the upholstery? Or King Ranch Longhorn? 

Funny you should say buffalo. Thinking hard about it, but may also go for fabric.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Maybe a red Scottish design? 

E5A94143-A466-4E7C-A68F-46AFEE91CB95.jpeg.0a0d1897fcf95d8ec5b25307004fb339.jpeg

It's like you're in my head!

17 hours ago, Mick S said:

I "core banded" them, meaning that I faced them with solid wood.

I like the looks of this and would be interested in more details of your process.  The Morris chair is coming up on my list, but  I am seeing things on other people's project that I like so maybe it is good I haven't got to it yet.

Yours has a touch of everything - Morris's idea with some G&G and a Southwest statement for good measure.

I saw some Morris chairs in the lodge at Crater Lake that were built in the actual days of this design.  A lot of them had upholstery that looked similar to that of the old carpet bags and there was one that had leather that had been dyed a real dark green and I always thought that would look good on a chair of cherry construction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I like the looks of this and would be interested in more details of your process.

I didn't document the process on this chair, but I used the same technique on the bowfront medicine chest I made a while back. The process is documented here.

I am simply astonished! I feel like I need a couple decades of practice before I could pull something like that off.

In that last picture, the close up of that chair leg, is that just a solid piece of wood that has that beautiful grain pattern or is that a mitered corner? It looks like you "book matched" it.

Also, who is it for?

• Like 2

GReat lines and propotionns.  Love the attention to detail.  I like it.

• Like 1

Mick, I gotta say... You've done yourself and New Mexico proud.  The NM emblem just sets it off big time.

• Like 1