Sign in to follow this  
Doomwolf

OTT - Precision Framing Square

My justification is when I am cutting up 10 sheets of ply that cost $50 - $60 ea into 60 or more parts even slightly out of square cuts can turn into a disaster. Best I can remember mine cost me around $175 many years ago. It's used almost everyday and has paid for itself many times over.  If you don't make crosscuts over 10-12" on a regular basis I can see how it would be of little benefit, but a precision square of whatever size should be a key tool in almost any shop. 

Back when I still used regular framing squares I would take my best try square to the store and check the ones in stock before purchasing. Usually had to check quite a few before I found a good one. One time every square in 3 different brands were out a little. 

Hey @Doomwolf I'm just going to circle back to  the brokerage fees for a moment. I just ran across the CBSA invoice. The value of that package was $397, the GST was $19.88 & the handling fee was $9.95, all in CDN. So that should give you an idea of what is reasonable.

@drzaius Based on my research/the UPS invoices, I should be paying $38.95 HST when I got to the CBSA office tomorrow. HST is a fact of life here, not mad about that. Once I have the square in my hand, I will add a summary of what happened to the first post in case someone runs into a similar issue down the road and searches the forum. 

I self-cleared the item last Friday. Paid $39.02 in sales tax, as opposed to $108 in stupid UPS brokerage fees. Process was super easy, spent more time driving between CBSA and UPS offices than I did filling paperwork/collecting my item. If you're curious as to what the process is, I have edited my original post and added links, so if anyone in the future is searching this issue they can find it right at the top. 

• Thanks 1