Bench Base

11 minutes ago, Dennis O'Shea said:

I have seen some of the benches on here and the workmanship is just outstanding .I don't think I am to that level and will probably never get there .I am open to all critiques .Thanks for looking 

I think you sell yourself short sir!  That looks damn fine!

• Like 1

I like the chamfer detail, in fact I like the bench all together.  I'd like to see the finished product.  And as an aside, your only as old as you want to be.  I'll be 76 in December, and for the most part, I can keep up with these young'un's.  But I am finding that 100 pound things like a DeWalt planer #735 is closer to 210 pounds nowadays.   One question:   Did you drawbore the legs?  Or just pin them?

2 minutes ago, RichardA said:

I like the chamfer detail, in fact I like the bench all together.  I'd like to see the finished product.  And as an aside, your only as old as you want to be.  I'll be 76 in December, and for the most part, I can keep up with these young'un's.  But I am finding that 100 pound things like a DeWalt planer #735 is closer to 210 pounds nowadays.   One question:   Did you drawbore the legs?  Or just pin them?

I did draw board them but I put a little champher on the edge of the tenon edge DUH!! so it doesn't look real  tight but they all pulled together real well And you are so right things seem to get heavier by the day I also can keep up with most of the young guys but turning Seventy really hurt My Mother turned 100 last December pretty exciting for the family

8 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Dennis, that thing looks darn nice! The first pic is the underside of the top? What is the 1x for? 

It's the shelf on the base I pinned with walnut dowels and chamfered

each board it may catch sawdust or what ever else I thought it looked pretty good 

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

Looks like a well executed miniature timber frame !  Are you using the same pine for the bench top ?

Yes I have put a 2 inch piece of walnut down the middle I still want to wrap the outside with walnut .I have drilled the hole for a leg vise  in one of the legs also 

5 minutes ago, Dennis O'Shea said:

It's the shelf on the base I pinned with walnut dowels and chamfered

each board it may catch sawdust or what ever else I thought it looked pretty good 

I see now, after zooming in. Looks mighty fine! And to say which will outlast who, I’m betting that it’s still standing strong if you want to pound on it in 30 years! 

The mistake is it is too good to use! This is not your first rodeo. More of a fortress than a bench. The bench will out last you and at least another lifetime. Sign and date your bench! Maybe leave a hidden note to make tight joints...It is a legacy.

Did you use a 1/2" cove to get those recessed details? I really really like that. Looks great!

10 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Sir and ma’am were just the way we were raised. I even say ma’am to a 20 something waitresss, but I do get the negative connotation. And I still hold the door open for young ladies, nice butt or not;)

As do I, but my manners, customs and courtesies were drilled into me. :P

12 minutes ago, Catco said:

Did you use a 1/2" cove to get those recessed details? I really really like that. Looks great!

I'd say it was a stopped chamfer.

My current wife was shocked the first time she met my boys.  We went out for lunch and when the car stopped one of them hopped out and opened her door for her.  Most natural thing in the world to us but, it stopped her cold.

Wow awesome looking bench. I made mine out of pine and aside from some slight cupping it's a good bench. Mine is no where as nice as yours is.

Being young is easy just burry your face in a smart phone and say some stupid words that don't mean anything. Everyone will think your a millennial and never look close enough to see the truth. :D

• Like 1

Great looking bench. I built mine out of pine too and it works, although after four years of use it needs urgent re-flattening. But it isn't half as nice as yours! I made mine over a weekend with half lap joints. I inlaid a piece of hardwood for the dog holes, to make them a bit more resilient, here's an old pic:

366544837_2015-10-3119_57_13.thumb.jpg.c22cd037cc2125110129b23c2883895f.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Catco said:

It was a 3/8 cove and just a couple of board clamped to each leg as stop blocks  easy peasy