Bed Covers For Pickup Owners

Chestnut

52 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I would agree I put mine in 4wd probably twice last winter the rest of the time i left it in 2wd its quieter and gets better mileage that way. Having said that living in MN there is zero chance I would buy a 2wd truck unless I never planned on getting rid of it. IMHO resale would be difficult at best.

I've had a lot of people tell me this over the years. I've recently called on 3-4 2wd ford rangers from 2009-2011 they all were in the $8-10k range under 100k miles. All of them sold in hours. Which is why I got frustrated and ordered brand new. The Rangers were 15k brand new 8-10 years ago so 5-7k in depreciation.  Because everyone thinks no one wants these pickups it creates a void and when the handful of nice ones that do exist pop up they sell FAST. Nice is the key word. There are a ton of junkers out there that are understandable because well they are junkers not because they are 2wd.

Your right though i have no plans to ever try and resell it. With the 3,500 lbs tow rating I don't see myself ever needing more. 3,500 lbs is more than any boat or camper I'd ever buy would require. 3,500 lbs of wood is a LOT of wood, it's only slightly behind the Dakota Cremona uses.

Not trying to make an argument I like the conversation. I honestly just wanted a cheap  3 pedal utility vehicle that is still kind of nice. Used market was moving fast and wasn't that much more affordable long term. If i liked Toyota they sell quite a few 3 pedal pickups and are the only brand that isn't afraid to mate a 4wd system to a manual transmission. Their fuel mileage is just awful.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I've had a lot of people tell me this over the years. I've recently called on 3-4 2wd ford rangers from 2009-2011 they all were in the $8-10k range under 100k miles. All of them sold in hours. Which is why I got frustrated and ordered brand new. The Rangers were 15k brand new 8-10 years ago so 5-7k in depreciation.  Because everyone thinks no one wants these pickups it creates a void and when the handful of nice ones that do exist pop up they sell FAST. Nice is the key word. There are a ton of junkers out there that are understandable because well they are junkers not because they are 2wd.

Your right though i have no plans to ever try and resell it. With the 3,500 lbs tow rating I don't see myself ever needing more. 3,500 lbs is more than any boat or camper I'd ever buy would require. 3,500 lbs of wood is a LOT of wood, it's only slightly behind the Dakota Cremona uses.

Not trying to make an argument I like the conversation. I honestly just wanted a cheap  3 pedal utility vehicle that is still kind of nice. Used market was moving fast and wasn't that much more affordable long term. If i liked Toyota they sell quite a few 3 pedal pickups and are the only brand that isn't afraid to mate a 4wd system to a manual transmission. Their fuel mileage is just awful.

Fair enough. 

I'll be interested to see what you get for mileage I've really been impressed with mine mid 20's on mostly highway driving in 2wd.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Fair enough. 

I'll be interested to see what you get for mileage I've really been impressed with mine mid 20's on mostly highway driving in 2wd.

I'm interested too. I'll post what i get with it. There seems to be enough interest.

As far as the bed cover is concerned I think i'm going to try the Undercover Ultra Flex.  Treeslayers positive comments on his similar product from the company reinforces my research.

Day 3 ... has it been 4 months yet? Is it here yet? :(

The rust is finally catching up with my 2001 S10.  I might be getting a couple year old hatchback instead of a truck to replace it but I can't quite get there even though the reality is I get a full sheet of plywood maybe twice a year.  My driveway is not doable with RWD in the winter, so any newish truck is twice the money.  I'll keep the S10 going as long as I can though.  4x4 and the 4.3L.  

Just turned over 218k on my 2007 Surburban and it still runs like a top. I hope to get a few more before I have to start replacing stuff. 

But, that doesn’t contribute to Drew’s/ OP at all . Sorry for the continued hj, bud. 

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Just turned over 218k on my 2007 Surburban and it still runs like a top. I hope to get a few more before I have to start replacing stuff. 

But, that doesn’t contribute to Drew’s/ OP at all . Sorry for the continued hj, bud. 

It's an offtopic thread about vehicles joke is on you for thinking you highjacked :P. After getting his first surburban my dad loves those things. He recently upgraded from a 2004 with 250k miles to a 2016 Yukon with 10k miles.

8 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

I saw a pickup topper by the side of the road the other day with a Free sign on it.   Maybe that would work? :-)

I might be doing that with the one that is on my ranger that i'm going to have to get rid of some time.

On 6/13/2018 at 5:26 AM, Chestnut said:

A friend of mine think's i'm weird for wanting a pickup as much as i do.

Your friend needs t hang out at Home Depot or Costco and watch what people try to stuff in or tie on top of their vehicles... Now thats weird.  I bought my first truck shortly after my first house in '74.  I honestly don't know how you can own a home and not a truck, they almost seem hand in hand.  And then add woodworking into the equation because that is why we are all on this forum, well you just need a truck.

• Like 1

My gas mileage sucks, I average about 18 mpg in my V6.  But, I've had the truck since about September of 2016 and it has right around 5K miles on it, it's not driven much.  A lot of those miles are short trips around town.  And like pointed out in another thread about the topic a while ago, I have a habit of getting away from stop signs and lights real quick, as my job has taught me to drive with a "purpose."  I still only fill the gas tank about once a month or so.

My truck is 4x4, but I don't think it's ever been in 4x4.  We've had a couple of unusually mild winters.  I LOVE my work car's full time all wheel drive though.  It makes "driving with a purpose" a lot more manageable in all conditions...snowy, icy, wet or dry. 

18 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Well 1 week down 11-12 to go ...

I also just learned that the Canyon is due for a mid cycle refresh, what ever that means, so what they look like now is probably not what i'm going to get. Hope i get lucky and they look better.

Can't be to much I just went a drove an 18 last week and they said nothing new coming for 19...of course they were trying to sell me an 18 but I assured them I would not be trading until push button start and memory seats were available. They looked it up and said nothing new for 19 which was fine since I was only looking because we went by on our way to dinner and I had received an offer for a $50 gift card if I test drove a new GMC.

17 hours ago, bleedinblue said:

... And like pointed out in another thread about the topic a while ago, I have a habit of getting away from stop signs and lights real quick, as my job has taught me to drive with a "purpose."  I still only fill the gas tank about once a month or so...

This made me laugh. A couple years back I was at my daughters (a MI state police officer) house visiting and she had to work one of the days. Anyway she had a Charger as a squad car and took off like a bat out of heck. The next morning I was like what was that call about last night, she said what call...so apparently its an occupational hazard :)