Arts and Craft Sideboard

Chet

Coming along very nicely Chet. I like your drawer construction. Your loss on the Blum slides is my gain as maybe I can get some pointers from you on the wood runners. I have kind of backed myself into a corner and am curious as to how you will attach the runners to your case? 

40 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Looking great, Chet! I'm stealing that drawer alignment technique...

I already did! I got a sneak preview as I was pondering with directions and Chet was kind enough to share.  Really great looking piece bud and thanks for the hints. It will be finished using what? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

It will be finished using what? 

I was leaning toward shellac and spraying High Performance but when I did my media cabinet a while back I really liked the way that Arm R Seal went on and looked when done, so that is my plan. 

How do you get your smoothing plane right up to the edge with those breadboards? :D Joking.  Looks awesome Chet I love the grain on the doors. It's too bad there wasn't a way to use the other ones they weren't bad exactly but didn't look right with the rest of the piece.

How in the heck did you get to the back to set the screw on the center runner? It looks like there isn't a ton of space in there to get a spring clamp. I feel like I'm missing something i reread that section about 5 times now. Maybe the 6th time is a charm.

6th time was the charm. Don't worry I'm an engineer. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Well nothing to really add at this time.  It is close to the finish part of the project and have been doing a lot of fit and finish stuff.

I do have a question for the group here. Each of the side cabinets has a false bottom in it and in the article by Paolini he says to place but NOT glue the false bottoms ( See Below)  Can any one tell me why you wouldn't want to permenently attach this false bottom panel even if it was with some brads or small screws?  It also acts as the door stop and it just seems to me that no matter how accurately you cut the piece, because you have to allow to drop it in at an angle, there is going to be play in it.

Scan.thumb.jpeg.dd985e4a1b45650d4a4ad5f3e6733b36.jpeg

I think it's because of the axial forces in the medullary bands. Have to make sure the thrust capacitor don't get over loaded.

I won't glue it just in case you damage it and some day want to replace it. I don't know why it would get damaged. That or door adjustment if needed in the future.

• Haha 1