? for Vacuum Press Users

Hey folks I am using a vacumm press to clamp 1/16" thick veneer on the door below. The door was pre-made with veneer glue using a form and clamps so this is just adding the outer skin. Because of that I used Titebond III rather than mix more veneer glue. My question is how long do I need to keep it under vacuum? Its a pretty tight radius and although I have had the system for years I have not used it much. Thanks 

JB-151.JPG.0c7355333f37edb3e45eefe5476dbb26.JPG

6 minutes ago, Mick S said:

I use TB III for most of my veneer press jobs. I leave it a minimum of about 6 hours, but usually overnight if possible.

Have you ever used bending ply for curves like that? Much easier and faster than building up the core.

Thanks. Yes that is three layers of bending ply with 1/16" book matched curly maple veneers. 

Thanks again for the advice guys!! Had a couple minor issues but over all very happy. As you can see in the first pic the over hang on the back of the door was a bit long and caused a small crack I had to deal with. In the second pic you can see the damage to the form which had more to do with the fact that it was made for clamps and not a vacuum system. That will have to be fixed before door two.

JB-169.JPG.68bb67ff54a74e2b9fd4bcb69bee9ec0.JPG

JB-170.JPG.22d335fde2c763fd7c599bf8ddb47694.JPG

Other than that the door cleaned up very nice. The book match joint on the side is good but not great. The joint at the front corner turned out great. Can't wait to see it with finish on it. 

JB-171.JPG.a444789a62480a725008b8b7e2d25bb8.JPG

JB-173.JPG.bb5309ddaf7923c94e048e8740532599.JPG

I will modify/fix the form for the second door. Thanks again for the great advice!! 

• Like 2

Ok so I have a question.  Since titebond PVA glues cure in the air and there is no air in the vaccum bag isn't it true that while the glue whill start to cure and gain some strength in the bag, it will not come up to final strength until sometime after it is removed from the bag????

36 minutes ago, Ronn W said:

Ok so I have a question.  Since titebond PVA glues cure in the air and there is no air in the vaccum bag isn't it true that while the glue whill start to cure and gain some strength in the bag, it will not come up to final strength until sometime after it is removed from the bag????

Not sure of the science my guess is its not really removing all the air but I can tell you after 18 hours it was definitely cured, the glue I planed off was hard as a rock.