Concerns with inhaling presure treated saw dust

kg14

Hi

Today, I was using my multi-tool after scribing some pressure treated fence boards to cut strips. I was using the tool for maybe 20-30 minutes. I didn't wear a mask but washed my hands afterwards. is 20-30minutes enough to cause problems. I'm a non smoker so I'm just wondering if they have released any working times with this dangerous stuff.

What are the symptoms, my mouth seems dry but I'm not feeling sick.

I see guys all the time use this stuff and don't have gloves or masks, I know the old green boards was a big problem.

thought i would ask the pro's:)

You could call HealthLink (or your local equivalent) & ask them. They'll know better than any of us probably. I wouldn't worry too much about a small amount of untreated wood dust, but still try to avoid it. Working with treated wood, I always gear up.

You might be having some sort of allergic reaction to the saw dust. I know i sometimes have minor reactions to fir and some other softwood species.

As far as the concerns with the treating solution. The small amount that you came in contact with isn't likely to be an issue, unless you have a severe allergy or some other reaction. If the stuff was that dangerous it'd be illegal or at a minimum require a license to use. After all copper and arsenic  and loads of other junk existing in 100% of people's water sources.

I found some nice little tables that lists nearly every common chemical and it's exposure limits and it's typical health impacts according to studies of some sort. For your exposure you'd be in the acute exposure which is short duration exposure. The big one is copper the other ones seem like they are a short duration effect.

Inhaling any sort of dust or debris is never good, and can easily cause some mild respiratory irritation. It is very unlikely that the short exposure you had would cause any serious or lasting harm. As others mentioned, best to avoid breathing it in and wear a dust mask when possible, especially with treated lumber.

I also don't think you have to worry but its great that people take better care of themselves more now than years ago.  I never use to ware a mask no matter what I was doing.  We use to take off asbestos siding off houses with a hammer and never thought a think about it.  I have smoked most of my life also. Now I wish I had done things different because at 57 I am paying for it. Things have a way of catching up with you.  Im sure you wont do that again.

• Like 1