Misc Hardware

Curious how much misc hardware do you keep in your shop? I have always thought I would rather leave it at the hardware store and I'm lucky enough to have a great Hardware Hank in the small town near where I live. Because of this, for the last 13 years, I have only had one drawer dedicated to misc hardware and until a few months ago when I ran out of room it was fine. I didn't want to add more but after 3 months I found things getting messy so I have added another drawer for hardware. Hopefully further expansion will not be necessary.

How much misc hardware do you keep on hand? Any unique storage solutions? Mine came from an article in the Jan 2005 issue of American Woodworker. BTW for anyone curious 13 years ago the bins cost $34 delivered today $64 :o . I seriously thought about just making drawer dividers but I like being able to take the cup or box to the bench.

1371268329_HW1.JPG.895a54a815837ff2f249cd106db44592.JPG

1385336476_HW2.JPG.f3f4d41fff073536f76883d3bc44c8b5.JPG

• Like 2

This reminds me that i bought some containers to organize my misc hardware but never got around to doing it. I also need to install drawer fronts to my outfeed table. Beings that it's cooler in Houston than Minnesota today i might do this instead of working on my shed outside.

I typically keep the spares from projects that i do but i don't keep a lot. I don't find myself using it all that often so i don't really see the point in keeping it around. If i was doing a lot more bolted connections or found it was inconvenient to not have the hardware i'd keep more. My end goal is to decide on 2-3 sizes and buy some bulk bolts and then make my own nuts as needed from hardwood with thread taps.

The other thing that I'd ask is. Is it worth holding on to random odd hardware that you don't think you'll ever use?

• Like 1

As you saw in my post the other day, I also added another drawer for "stuff" that I didn't want to get rid of..

I did, however, apply a rule to that drawer that I'll try to follow if I can..  I only want items in that drawer that need to be ordered or items I use fairly frequently but, rarely on furniture.  This drawer is further away from my primary drawer so, do not go there frequently.  Nordfab pins, drywall screws, deck screws, shelf pins, long drawer pull screws, etc...

In my primary drawer, I keep the usual variety that I use frequently on furniture.  In the new drawer, I did fill up some empty bins with the "extra" stash for the primary drawer.

• Like 1

I got some free bins from my dads work when they were trashing them. The are the fold open type that come in a small cabinet with slides. I’ve been trying to buy extra screws when I get some from the store because I live about 20 miles from the nearest hardware store. 

My grandfather made something similar. His first one was made using cigar boxes as the drawers. Then he made a bunch of them for all the grandkids, but he used particleboard scraps. Mine is close to 30 years old but it never looked as good as yours. 

1 minute ago, wdwerker said:

My grandfather made something similar. His first one was made using cigar boxes as the drawers. Then he made a bunch of them for all the grandkids, but he used particleboard scraps. Mine is close to 30 years old but it never looked as good as yours. 

When I got it .It had paint stains on it and he had put the little wooden knobs on the drawer's Drilling through the knob and putting a small threaded bolt a lock washer and a nut on each one >I changed the knobs and cleaned it up I was going to put poly on it but then I thought he must have used some type of varnish so that what I put on it I turned out pretty good And it has done the job for me 

I inherited boxes and cans and more boxes from my grandfather filled with screws, nails, everything imaginable, about 35yrs ago.  I carted the stuff all over the world.  When we finally settled in Washington my wife and I went through it and organized it.  I finally had to start buying fasteners 5 or 6 years ago.  But I think I still have a can or two from him.  Saved us a lot of money over the years, but it was a P.I.T.A. getting the stuff organized.

For fasteners, I try to keep a stock of each size, in about 1/8" increments, starting at 1/2" up to about 3". 

For my most frequently used sizes, I buy high quality SS fasteners. For the rest it's the cheap zinc oxide junk. 

I also keep a container of misc hardware. Every time I buy something that comes with hardware that I don't end up using, it goes into the misc jar. That way if I need an odd size or something there's a good chance I'll have a couple in that misc jar. 

I keep the most often used stuff in bins above my bench, 

And - this was a move that's saved me countless time, I keep the 5 or so most frequently used impact driver heads stuck to a magnetic dish above by bench too. So pretty much no matter what the fastener is, I have immediate access to the driver head for it. I'll post a pic later.

Generally I agree with you - let the store stock the items but for hardware you really need a good amount on hand. There's nothing worse than having to stop a project because you need a few screws that you don't have on hand.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:38 PM, Just Bob said:

Saved us a lot of money over the years, but it was a P.I.T.A. getting the stuff organized.

Yeah, but what a great feeling once it's done! I took about a week last year and organized everything in my shop. Every drawer, every bin, every piece of hardware. It was a pain,but it was SO worth it! I've never been as organized as I am now and that just makes things go so much better,and I don't waste money buying stuff that I already have,because I didn't know I had it. That used to happen constantly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, applejackson said:

Yeah, but what a great feeling once it's done! I took about a week last year and organized everything in my shop. Every drawer, every bin, every piece of hardware. It was a pain,but it was SO worth it! I've never been as organized as I am now and that just makes things go so much better,and I don't waste money buying stuff that I already have,because I didn't know I had it. That used to happen constantly. 

I agree it is a great feeling.  However I suck at it!  My wife is a organization senior drill sergeant and she is the only reason my shop gets organized.  I can keep it that way once it is done, but I need her to get me there. 

On 7/11/2018 at 4:25 PM, Just Bob said:

can keep it that way once it is done.

@Just Bob This takes discipline. It's something I have really had to work at in the past and continue to work at today. I have to keep myself organized well in a project or before I can blink and I I've got such a mess of tools everywhere and cut off scraps and Lord only knows what else that it's a miracle if anything at all gets done. So now I have to force the discipline on myself to clean up after every working session put every tool away where it goes, don't just throw it into a drawer. And to keep my work area clean while I am working on a project. In my case, I have to return the shop to a working two car garage that two cars can actually Park in, so I have to move my machines out of the way and that definitely helps when I'm done with working session. But, staying organized is a skill just like cutting a dovetail or planing some figured Maple by hand. Good luck!

@Just Bob here are a few things that help me stay on task. 

1. Most often used handtools mounted above my bench on pegboard. 

2. Brad points and forstners mounted right next to my drill press.3. .these 3 tools I use constantly so they get their own little holder: good quality mechanical pencil, centerpunch, awl.

4. (This was a gamechanger) I keep the 5-6 driver heads that 99% of the fasteners in my shop use, along with a couple drill bits for pre-drilling, in magnetic dishes within arm's reach. I can't tell you how much time I used to waste constantly looking for and changing out the same 5-6 driver heads. No more. They are all right here. 

(And similar to that, on my pegboard I keep 1 good mechanical screwdriver with a phillips head bit and 1 with a straight bit mounted at all times. No more switching those out, either)  

These arent exactly acts of genius, nor are they as pretty to look at as some of the beautiful containers the other guys in this post have made and shared. But they help me stay on task and reduce the time I spend messing around looking for stuff so  I can spend more time actually woodworking. 

best of luck sir.

AJ

0718181313a (1).jpg

press.jpg

3 tools reduced.jpg

magnetic dishes sized.jpg

bench.jpg

We've wandered a bit OT so I'll add to that by saying . . .

Organization is just part of my method of work.  You do need to get to where you have a place for everything and everything that doesn't have a place gets tossed out into a pile in the shed.  What's the difference, you can't find those things when you need them anyway.

I can go from disaster area to completely cleaned up in about 30 minutes.  I just pick up whatever is closest and put it where it goes until there isn't anything left; all done.  I'm not perfect.  I have little snow-drifts of 'stuff' that can't ever seem to find a permanent place.  A coffee can of shims, a coffee can of little pieces of wood I use for cauls, a blow mold case for an impact tool that I hardly ever use.  Why do they linger like spirits who refuse to leave the physical plane!?!  Most of theses migrate to the shed by the third time I trip over them.  Some linger for a year or more if they hide really well.