Beginner - Impulse Buy

This is so Deja vu. A couple of years ago, a good friend, after having a new house built with a detached three car garage, told me he wanted to start Woodworking. He bought this same ts and asked if I would help him get it set up. After getting it assembled, we plugged it in and turned it on and off again. Then he turned to me and said, “ now what do I do”. And I had never given it a thought until he asked. He has since created some neat stuff and has also gone towards the turning tangent and is still trying to get me into it. Jazzed, just be aware that once you turn it on, you’re other hobbies will likely take second seat. Good luck , safe woodworking and definitely keep in touch with your projects. There are none too simple and there are no dumb questions for this bunch. We’ve all been there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2018 at 10:05 PM, RichardA said:

Remember this above all else.     You dearly want to leave this earth with exactly the same amount of fingers and toes that you came to this hobby with. Trust me.

Unless you're the bad guy in Princess Bride.

• Haha 1

I use calipers all the time.  I have several varying from expensive to Harbor Freight special of the day.    There's really nothing bad to say about the Harbor Freight digital caliper and that's the one I use most often because it's on the bench and  the "good ones" are in their box in a drawer.

I aligned my blade to the miter slots using the miter gauge with the caliper clamped to it.  As long as the miter gauge screws are adjusted so it fits snug in the slot you should be able to get within a few thousandths or better.  

On my saw the trunnions bolt to the top, the trick to accurate adjustment is to barely loosen three of bolts and use a mallet and stick and tap the trunnion at one of the loosened bolts, It usually doesn't take much movement to get the blade aligned really well.

I think Marc has a video on making a crosscut sled, he used Willam Ng's 5 cuts to square method of adjusting the crossmember.  If you can't find the video here go to the source and YouTube William Ng on how to make one.  It's a very good project.

You're good to go.  I have 2 rules: 1) Every proejct has to include a new skill to learn and 2) every project has to have an opportunity to buy a new toy........and you will have plenty of both.  Watch videos, read magazines, make sawdust and hove fun.

4 hours ago, jazzed said:

I made a few cut's the other day and I really suck...

Expand on this, what kind of cuts were you making? Why did they “suck?”

it could be your technique or there could be a better way to achieve the result you are looking for. 

The tablesaw is all you need for a while anyway.  Concentrate on building up your work area using cabinet grade plywood: crosscut sled, outfeed table with a router in the middle, simple workbench, and cabinets.  A router would be a great, inexpensive 3rd tool and you could practice with it on your shop cabinet doors.  

Every guy needs a workbench area, if only for home improvement projects. 

tks for the reply...hopefully I'll stick with it whenever I get started on a few simple things...but I do have the want's even tho I 'm seriously doubting I have the know-how. I did buy a gripper for my safety and a freud diablo 60t blade and a jigsaw. I have a shopping list of 3 or 4 more items I think I need like a circular saw, an incra miter gauge w/fence, a router and a small cheaper bit set. I really need the outfeed table but there is no way I could build one at this time. I need to figure out an alternative I could use for this purpose until and if I ever progress to being able to build one.

Is there slop in the factory miter gauge?  When it sits in the miter slot, can you wiggle it from side to side? 

Before you drop the coin on a nice miter gauge, build a sled.  It's safer and in a lot of ways, more versatile.  Plus, you can say you made something.

Here is Marc's video, but you can go to Youtube and take your pick.

I was where you were a couple of years ago.  I got comfortable with my table saw by making a bunch of shop cabinets, mitre saw table and a hefty workbench/outfeed table (made out of 2x4s and a maple top from Ikea).  The point was that I just started cutting stuff, getting familiar with the saw and how it reacted.  I also spent a bunch of time looking at youtube videos on table saw safety, kickback, etc.  I use some easy shop made push sticks and am always very wary.  Just go for it, safely...

It was only after I had made a bunch of shop furniture that I bought my first bit of hardwood and started messing with that.  

i am not familiar with the miter gauge that comes with your saw so it may be different.   The miter gauges I have seen have set screws in the slider bar that can be adjusted to take out the slack if needed.   If you screw a long straight board onto the miter gauge it will stabilize the pieces you are cutting.

i think a crosscut sled is an excellent first project that will immediately start paying back the effort it takes to build it.  If the rip fence is adjusted parallel to the blade you can build a cross cut sled.