Anyone with experience using jointer/planer combos?

ktb15

My planer just died so looking into some combo machines and realize hammer is the best but $5,600 with shipping is not in the budget right now and even if I could find a way to justify that it has a 4-8 week delivery time which I can't wait. I definitely want a helical head so it's narrowed down to jet or grizzly since those are the only ones I know of. I'm leaning towards a combo machine because it also upgrades my 6" jointer and will free up some floor space. Just wondering if anyone here has used one of these 12" combo machines and looking for opinions on them. 

To add into what Mick said if you buy a grizzly and it's not in stock on the 6th you will pay the 25% increase.  Even with the tariffs you could find a Chinese machine and still come out at half the cost of the Hammer.  You just need to find a broker to handle all the shipping and customs paperwork.  You probably could have in 3-4 weeks.

25% increase for tariffs? I was definitely unaware of that. I noticed I was looking a few days ago and the jet increased by $70 today, not sure if that has something to do with it. I'll check out Oliver I didn't even think of them thanks. 

yea I got my drum sander from them. So the rikon is 1k less than the jet and the only discernible difference I can see is two knobs on the front of the jet aren't on the rikon but I'm not sure what they do. I looked on Oliver's site but all I saw was a 24" double surfacer lol probably around 50k and the size of a civic 

10 hours ago, ktb15 said:

yea I got my drum sander from them. So the rikon is 1k less than the jet and the only discernible difference I can see is two knobs on the front of the jet aren't on the rikon but I'm not sure what they do. I looked on Oliver's site but all I saw was a 24" double surfacer lol probably around 50k and the size of a civic 

Tomorrow the 15% off coupon on acme expires. I don't know if that is a motivating factor. I don't know if that rikon combo would be good or bad. Rikon has a good reputation, at least i hear very little bad about them.

10 hours ago, RichardA said:

I haven't heard any bad reviews about Acme tools. In fact everything said about them has been good.

Their rental departmnet is really bad at times. Poor tools poor service.

I’m hoping to make my decision by tomorrow so I can take advantage of that discount just trying to figure out what the difference in the jet and rikon is, I’ll have to take a look at some part diagrams later and see if I can find so,etching there. Almost seems too good to be true that it’s 1k less than the jet just for a different color machine

So i remember a guy on the forum buying the jet JJP combo unit.

To me the big thing is probably the fence. Where the rubber meets the road, the cutter head, they are both 56 insert heads and look the same. My guess is rikon found a way to make the machine more economically and there aren't major differences. Jet is a JPW industry (powermatic owner) company and probably leans on reputation to charge a bit more for their equipment. I generally look at weight, usually a tel-tale sign if they cheap out on parts and they are both 500 lbs.

The Grizzly J/P combos should only be going up 5% (raw material increase) since it is made in Taiwan, not China.  I am not sure where the other Asian combos are made nor how the companies are going to deal with price increases, we only know about the Grizzly prices increases since Balolia has commented about it on forums.  

So the one on their website looks like a rebranded jet but says "Product image is only a representation, actual product appearance may differ slightly" When I do a google search the only pictures or reviews are of a rebranded grizzly machine so I wonder which machine it actually is