How to finish this requested hipster piece??

9C018067-25CC-4C71-9970-58B71F2CB04E.thumb.jpeg.a306447d038ef8a11baadad8d926cf84.jpeg

so a friend sent me this and and asked if I could make it cheaper than the $300 price tag they saw this going for. I said sure.

However my question is ... how do I attach each level? 

With 2x4s I’m not sure. Should I build each level and then glue together and then finish only what’s left on the outside? 

Im worries about cheap HD 2x4 wood and it warping like crazy after a few days or week or month. I was thinking of finishing each level and then somehow joining them together. Maybe screws and dominoes or something??

Thoughts?  

17 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

Finish the 2x4's on all sides then assemble with construction adhesive and brads from the bottom face.  Screw the hairpin legs on and your done.

Take no pictures, apply no signature, deny you ever built such a thing !

haha thanks! I do not plan on ever taking credit for it :) 

How fast does he want it?  If you have the time, buy the straightest, lightest boards, then let dry indoors for a couple of months. Then build and finish the exterior. Once dry, pine doesn’t move much. It would be more work, but buy 2x12, then. Cut I nto 2x4 boards, round over the edges and build. 2x12 are often the best boards in the store. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdwerker said:

Finish the 2x4's on all sides then assemble with construction adhesive and brads from the bottom face.  Screw the hairpin legs on and your done.

Take no pictures, apply no signature, deny you ever built such a thing !

That reminds me of a part in the Fountainhead where the lesser architect Peter hires the true genius Howard to help him design his building for a competition. Howard complies, producing a brilliant design, to which peter adds unnecessary and out of place ornamentation to the design, but the building still wins the competition. Peter pays Howard for his help, and Howard returns the payment to Peter as hush money to keep him from telling anyone he had anything to do with it! :D

• Like 2

By the way, if you want to be authentic and match the picture, I wouldn't worry about any of that stuff.

The guy who built that one sure didn't.

You can clearly see the joints, lips between the boards, and spots where they have separated and warped. It  is probably secured together solely with fasteners instead of glue. 

• Like 2

haha ... about spit my drink out on a few of these replies :)

I know its crap, but I look at is at practice and I need all of that I can get. It might not be amazing practice, but I can at least draw it up and work on that side of things. I do like having the non- solid interior. That will help make things lighter too and save me some money on materials.

Dont worry guys, I wont post the build journal of this ... unless you all want to see, what not to sign your name to :) haha 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bushwacked said:

Dont worry guys, I wont post the build journal of this ... unless you all want to see, what not to sign your name to :) haha 

Oh hell yes. You can’t start something of this magnitude and unusualality ( spell check said ain’t right but I overroaded it;)). The kinky side of me says that I probably wouldn’t try it but I’ll darn sure watch! 

• Like 2

@bushwacked - If you really have to make this table, at least charge what the market will bear. If the client wants under $300, charge $250. I don’t think anybody here would snicker at a $200 profit. If you have a planer that will handle the width, joint and glue the top and bottoms as separate pieces. Plane each to minimum clean up and screw the bottom to the top. Slap some polyurethane on it and collect the money.

• Like 1

Steve, I disagree. I think planing would be a couple of steps beyond the expectations of the client. In all honesty, is someone wanted to pay me anything to build this and I could make a slight profit, I’d darn sure do it and even share it with you guys,