Johnny4

(Sigh)....Roubo time

Whole lotta scraping goin on. If I understood the videos correctly, I only need to flatten one end of the underside? Wife called today and asked if I had done any laundry....” no, sweetie....I....haven’t been able to get to it?”

• Haha 2

Hey! Hit a snag in the old workflow department....namely, I started back to work. I teach school, so getting my sea legs back takes till about Labor Day. Anyhoo....in the process of initial flattening of the top and squaring up. I'm just a hair under 4".....3 15/16 to be specific. How do I account for this down the road? That is...where will this come back to bite me?

Hope y'all are enjoying your holiday!

The height of the bench is so personal that you should be sitting for the finished height you want. On a roubo, the height elements are the top thickness and base. Now that you know your top thickness, go at the base, giving a bit to take off in final flattening. 

I forget what height the specs on the plans give you at the end, but I hope you have figured out what height you need your bench to be and are building the height to that, not that the plan calls for.

• Like 1

It shouldn't be an issue other than you may have to plane your bench dogs down a little bit. For hardware the measurements all go from the bottom so that's not an issue. I think mine ended up at 3 7/8" prior to final flattening and probably lost another 1/16' there.

1 hour ago, Johnny4 said:

Thanks fellas. Trying to tame woodworker OCD here.

For sure, just give it a dose of reality. This is your bench, from a plan which you will make your own. Have an understanding of the ten text steps, and you shouldn't be able to screw anything up!

Got the slabs dimensioned. Holy god that was some work. I like to live in a world where I feel that I just did the real grunt work. The rest is much more manageable. I feel really really good. And tired. 

Yes, the worst of the grunt work, but you'll still be working with solid 4x4s, still flipping the slabs for mortises and vices.. so what I'm saying is the Fun, isn't over

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Yes, the worst of the grunt work, but you'll still be working with solid 4x4s, still flipping the slabs for mortises and vices.. so what I'm saying is the Fun, isn't over

So true LOL

Hey....HEY. Got the slabs flat and square. Something's out of whack in machine town. However, the Jack and the Jointer planes worked beautifully. It was a great lesson in hand plane usage. Still chipping away over here.

• Like 1