Gap fix

Chet

Just seeing this now, but I agree, fixing it was the option I personally would have pursued. 

The argument that once it is stained dark, you won't see the gap as much doesn't really hold up for me. First because you don't really know for sure what light it will be in the future. Say it faces a window and it gets direct low sunlight at morning or night, but more importantly, I think the stain is an argument for repairing it... once you get a sliver of wood in there, as you have done, the stain will make it very hard to detect the repair. If you weren't staining it, the repair might be more apparent, but since it is being stained, I think it will be very hard to detect.

8 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The argument that once it is stained dark

This is the second time this has been mentioned and I hate to disappoint, but I am not staining this. ;)  It is cherry and will get a nice color on its own.  I am really not a big fan of staining.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 12:12 PM, pkinneb said:

I would leave the gap before I would use any type of glue/putty solution, especially in a corner.  

co-sign; of those who notice, most will assume that amount of gap is normal.

[edit: you fixed it?1 no way!  OK, nice job.]

10 hours ago, Chet said:

This is the second time this has been mentioned and I hate to disappoint, but I am not staining this. ;)  It is cherry and will get a nice color on its own.  I am really not a big fan of staining.

No problem, guess I misunderstood one of the earlier comments.

• Like 1

Well I hope you're happy Chet you made all of us that voted to leave it alone look like noobs:blink: seriously thats a great looking fix sir, nobody but 19,999 members will ever know that it was there. keep up the great work and if it wasn't asked already what's the finish going to be?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

if it wasn't asked already what's the finish going to be?

I haven't come to a full decision yet but  I am thinking one coat of garnet shellac to bring out the grain and then GF High Performance... Or one coat of Arm R Seal instead of the shellac and then the GF High Performance. 

On 7/14/2018 at 6:47 PM, K Cooper said:

As an aside and not a hj, what kind of puppies have a hungover mid-wife? 

Miniature Dachshunds. This is the second litter on Deck right now. Another due Thursday from first tie and another due September.

11 hours ago, Chet said:

I haven't come to a full decision yet but  I am thinking one coat of garnet shellac to bring out the grain and then GF High Performance... Or one coat of Arm R Seal instead of the shellac and then the GF High Performance. 

Chet,  why the GF High Performance  instead of straight ARS? 

9 hours ago, Chet said:

Durability under use.  We have the whole family over here once a month for sit down dinners and this will be serving a lot of time as overflow service area.

Great to know, thanks. 

If you have some art supplies you could faux the 8 grains on that board. Basically extend the grain lines that tiny fraction.

Of all places a long time ago I was at the Met in New York. And I spotted an interior door that was fauxed to look like quarter sawn. This is  the same place where on display is art work of the masters. Are they all real? or faux. Why not have a real QS door of all places especially the Met!

But if it is good enough for the met maybe some faux lines for the grains? But do not ask me how to do it. Once an artful customer added faux lines and it worked...

If you do nothing I think that is OK too...