Where to buy sandpaper

I get some from Woodworkers supply. They actually make some of their offerings.  I like the price and longevity. Not in RO, many of their offerings are available in cubic zirconia and is the longest lasting I ever found. Belt splices break before the belt is worn. And there splices are long lasting. But the belts outlast the splices.

It is very hard to beat Klinspor for abrasives, very high quality with reasonable prices.   They were/are one of the major suppliers to the NC furniture industry.  They have 4 brick and mortar stores in North Carolina.   They also have abrasives on sale starting next week (10% off).  Their bargain boxes are a great way to get a wide variety of sandpaper for general shop use.  I tend to only get the medium/fine boxes as the coarse boxes tend to have a decent amount of sub 50 grit paper, not much use for 36 grit for hand sanding.  

I have run a lot of Klingspor stuff and it is very good quality.  I tried some Industrial Abrasives stuff that I heard about on a forum (maybe this one) and it is also very good quality.  I too am still using stuff from a Klingspor bargain box bought long ago; great value.

I wasn't impressed with Norton sandpaper. Just didn't seem to last that long. If you only need a few sheets then go ahead and buy it local but if you want to have a decent selection on hand there are so many better places to get much better abrasives. Woodworker's supply is a good source for belts too. 

18 hours ago, kyokahn said:

Well, I normally use Mirka and I've found it to be on a whole different level than the hardware store, dewalt or Norton. Haven't tried klinspor, has anyone tried both?

Which Mirka paper are you comparing?   The Mirka Gold is very similar in quality to the Klingspor paper and for that matter Festool.  The net abrasives from Mirka like Abranet are a different animal.  I tend to use more Abranet than standard paper anymore it tends to last longer and be overall more economical.  I have yet to try the Festool net abrasives.  

11 hours ago, Cliff said:

I tend to buy Festool paper from amazon. I use the 6" discs even for hand sanding. I've never heard of Klingspor. I'll have to look into that. 

You really need to do that, unless you have money to burn. The discs are what, close to a buck a piece? A quarter sheet of Klingspor is probably $.10 - $.20. For hand sanding quarter sheets are much more versatile than using a disc.

5 hours ago, HuxleyWood said:

Which Mirka paper are you comparing?   The Mirka Gold is very similar in quality to the Klingspor paper and for that matter Festool.  The net abrasives from Mirka like Abranet are a different animal.  I tend to use more Abranet than standard paper anymore it tends to last longer and be overall more economical.  I have yet to try the Festool net abrasives.  

Mirka gold, precisely, Amazon had it on sale (packs of 50 for $17 if I remember correctly) some 6months ago and I ordered a bunch of them. I just ordered an Abranet assortment pack (35 total for $28) and a couple backer pads (so I don't chew through the hooks) yesterday, looks promising with the sander hooked to a vacuum. Any other pointers using the Abranet? How has it worked for you?

4 hours ago, drzaius said:

You really need to do that, unless you have money to burn. The discs are what, close to a buck a piece? A quarter sheet of Klingspor is probably $.10 - $.20. For hand sanding quarter sheets are much more versatile than using a disc.

Nothing like fabric-backed sandpaper rolls for hand sanding imo.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:05 AM, drzaius said:

If they last as long as Festool then yeah no prob. That's why I started using the Festool, a 10 pack of each grit has lasted me almost 2 years.