An introduction

Gentleman and Ladies, I want to introduce our newest member.  His handle is Spanky.  This is the fellow I get most of my wood from lately.  He's a sawyer with his own Kiln, and he cuts and dries local middle Tennessee hardwoods. He has  Walnut, Maple, and Ambrosia Maple, Cherry and figured Cherry, along with Sassafras and  and quarter sawn  Sycamore, and QSWO, and red oak, flat or QS.  I don't know if he's set up for mail order, But if your close by or passing through, give him a shout, he's a helluva nice guy and will help you get some  furniture grade Tennessee hardwoods.   PM him for info on prices and availability.

They are alot of work in getting the quarter sawn lumber. I think, all woodworker should get to help saw, quarter sawn lumber for a few hours. The guys, that have helped said they didn’t know it was that much work. I haven’t got Rick to help. LOL

Last question, I promise. The way I understand quarter sawing, you cut the log length ways in quarters, then take one quarter and slice one side, flip the log end for end and slice the other side, continuing to do this until you run out of log? So, if you have a 8” wide qs board, the log had to be at least 16” wide, not counting the bark? 

13 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Last question, I promise. The way I understand quarter sawing, you cut the log length ways in quarters, then take one quarter and slice one side, flip the log end for end and slice the other side, continuing to do this until you run out of log? So, if you have a 8” wide qs board, the log had to be at least 16” wide, not counting the bark? 

I cut the log into four quarters and start sawing on one quarter cut one board and flip cut a board and flip back. You need a big log to quarter saw.

5 hours ago, socoj2 said:

Hey Spanky you run accross any High figured pieces of maple or walnut that are "too short" let me know i make knife handles

I cut timber and log too, do you like burl wood for your knife handles. I do, have one or two sassafras burls one alittle bigger than a basketball.

2 minutes ago, Spanky said:

I cut timber and log too, do you like burl wood for your knife handles. I do, have one or two sassafras burls one alittle bigger than a basketball.

i have to stabilize Burl and im not setup for that yet, but if its REALLy good stuff ill make an exception.