An introduction

20 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Welcome in, Spanky!  

How far East of Nashville are you? Rick keeps telling us how nice your product is, I may just have to make tge drive one day!

He's about 10 minutes south of McMinnville.  It's about a 20 minute drive for me.

3 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Hi Spanky. Thanks for joining us. Does the 20% waste due to quartering change and reduce waste when the log is a lot bigger?

Thanks

No, the bigger the log you have, you have more cuts and more dust waste. To quarter saw and get the wide boards that all woodworkers want you need at log that needs to be spilt with a chainsaw in half. I have a few quarter sawn white oak boards that are 14.5” wide. That log was 54” on the butt end.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spanky said:

They are alot of work in getting the quarter sawn lumber. I think, all woodworker should get to help saw, quarter sawn lumber for a few hours. The guys, that have helped said they didn’t know it was that much work. I haven’t got Rick to help. LOL

Way to old for that.

5 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Man i wish i was closer. I'd take you up on the offer of putting me to work to learn how sawing goes. I wish there were more species available quarter sawn except cherry not a huge fan of QS cherry.

Welcome!

As a guy who sits in front of screens most of the day like I do, you would probably love bucking boards on a mill.  I do it about once a quarter. Last month we quarter sawed a sycamore that about maxed out  his  wood-meizer 75. It was s pita but gave amazing boards

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

You can quarter saw any tree that’s 24’’ are bigger. But, they need to be around 30’’ are bigger if you want some 10’’ wide boards.

Love hearing from sawyers, so with the way you described your quartersawing method, I believe you cut the wood like this off the quarters?

quartersawing-rift-sawing-and-plain-sawing-explained_03.jpg.7488b2ddf6688ea6c236007589825c3a.jpg

I believe this would give you true quatersawed boards in your first 6 cuts or so and then a more rift cut boards after that with a chunk of waste wood once you are finished, correct?