Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

Making it out of 8/4 cherry. I bought 3 big ass boards and cut them to rough length and width. I weighed these just because and total weight was 63 lbs. After rough cutting all of the parts and screwing them together, without sculpting, I can raise the whole thing over my head with one hand. A whole bunch of waiste, but well worth it. 

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Making it out of 8/4 cherry. I bought 3 big ass boards and cut them to rough length and width. I weighed these just because and total weight was 63 lbs. After rough cutting all of the parts and screwing them together, without sculpting, I can raise the whole thing over my head with one hand. A whole bunch of waiste, but well worth it. 

Coop what kind of chair ya makin?? 

Need a custom made chair, just call the Houston Chair Maker! Do you need me to start taking orders for your chairs?  :)

• Sad 1

There really is a lot of waste with those sculptured pieces. I've never thought to weigh the wood prior, interesting.

Did you ever find a RAS 115?

5 hours ago, Spanky said:

Need a custom made chair, just call the Houston Chair Maker! Do you need me to start taking orders for your chairs?  :)

Thanks Rickey but I could make a better living collecting aluminum cans with a magnet:D

4 hours ago, Bmac said:

There really is a lot of waste with those sculptured pieces. I've never thought to weigh the wood prior, interesting.

Did you ever find a RAS 115?

No, I ended up taking Marc and Kev’s lead by using the Holey Galahad and the ETS 150 with the soft pad. 

First time cutting buckshot walnut, but I have cut birdshot walnut before.

A809ECEC-4480-4C7E-B058-C669703CE2EF.jpeg

FB2AC439-EABF-482A-9830-9DA231173596.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Check out the cow pee in this walnut. Rainbow Walnut that sound like more money. :P

173F7A03-039F-4A30-B756-18C5CB518FB3.jpeg

62956596-3DB2-40D7-9F32-4A32B1BF6354.jpeg

• Like 1

Looks like maybe the buck got away?  Or was the shooter trying to hit the broad side of the barn?

42 minutes ago, Byrdie said:

Looks like maybe the buck got away?  Or was the shooter trying to hit the broad side of the barn?

I would say the guy was a farmer shooting at a red fox running off with the ole red rooster in his mouth. It was low to the ground on that walnut tree.

The old boy’s down south like 00 buckshot in the 12 ga shotguns here. 12 pellets per shot can’t miss right.

7 hours ago, Spanky said:

First time cutting buckshot walnut, but I have cut birdshot walnut before.

A809ECEC-4480-4C7E-B058-C669703CE2EF.jpeg

FB2AC439-EABF-482A-9830-9DA231173596.jpeg

Nice! Pre-inlaid boards!

As a lumberman, how long ago do you recon that was shot? 

I would guess 30 to 40 years ago.

Maybe it was shot by somebody famous.  That would raise the value.

Bmac I picked up a good curly (tiger) hard maple log today 14 ft long and 18” on the small end.

2 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Bmac I picked up a good curly (tiger) hard maple log today 14 ft long and 18” on the small end.

That's what I'm been saving my money for !!

3 minutes ago, RIW said:

That's what I'm been saving my money for !!

Sure you don’t like hard maple. You told me soooo! :D

3 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Sure you don’t like hard maple. You told me soooo! :D

The word Tiger changes everything

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Want to see pics of that, tiger maple Maloof Rocker! All I need is about 60 bf.

I guess you are talking about 8/4 or 9/4 lumber. I have been cutting 8/4 lumber for three days now. My ole back just about gone to. 

50 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Want to see pics of that, tiger maple Maloof Rocker! All I need is about 60 bf.

That would be purty! 

I may need to check first with The Houston Chair Maker, about the tiger hard maple. :D He’s just getting started at Chair Making and may want to stock up on chair lumber. ;)

I appreciate it Rickey but that’s the reason I’m making mine from SYP, so I don’t butcher the good stuff. Mine’s not intentionally a rocker but probably will be one:D. But I do love me some tiger maple! 

• Haha 1

Rickey, how could you determine that it is tiger maple before you slice into it?