Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

Rick, there’s a little saying at the bottom of each of your post. Put your glasses on and read that thing each time before you turn a machine on! 

4 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Boy, if the lumber cut that color we would be in the money.

I've called the exorcist for my shop with Rickey and Richard getting hurt.. 

Dave I got three rainbow poplar logs today at a log yard. I hate to cut the junk, but they will buy it. 

Cutting curly lumber my favorite wood to cut.  

you have to give the people what they want Spanky, you run a business not a charity, not my cup of tea but its what folks want so cut away, i agree on the curly and the figured cherry and many others that you cut, take care of that finger and heal fast my friend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardA said:

Doo, doo happens.

Yeah, but we still don't have to be happy about it. :(

8 hours ago, RichardA said:

Rickey, I had a push stick drop down and into the blade this morning, and I now have 9 stitches in the palm of my hand.  Gravity sucks.

I guess as they say, things really do run in threes. I had my second eye lid surgery today and have a series of stitches running across both. I look like a Raggedy Ann doll. 

Check out this curly white oak log. I found at the mill this morning.  I have my name on that log now.

EE571615-5517-4028-9C79-9DB57F3D054A.jpeg

6C4B62DD-78E1-4D04-95F5-7C273B3DBB66.jpeg

F78BA97E-959A-4817-AC8A-32866A974490.jpeg

A1CE4B56-CE14-4393-8984-18DB1C2C0B6C.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

Do they debark them or do you? That's a pretty clean log.

Pulling logs out of the mtns in the spring time on a long drag the logs debark themselves. They do debark all logs before going in the mill.

Hey Rickey.. Since you showed off your injury, I felt it only proper to expose mine.  This came about from a push stick that got caught by the splitter and drove it downward into the blade.  Not a major problem, the hand is still functional, but tightly gripping anything is kinda  a no-no.  Nine stitches

DSC02433.JPG

• Sad 2

One upside Richard is the skin on the palm usually heals pretty fast. Ive had some nasty looking gashes on my palm that healed up nicely in a week or two with no trace. 

• Like 1

Why not?  You scared of needles?  I called my Dr. two minutes after it happened, and was home in an hour. to finish what I was doing.  Jeez!

4 hours ago, Mark J said:

I would imagine high fives are out, too.

With the right hand.

20 hours ago, Spanky said:

Check out this curly white oak log. I found at the mill this morning.  I have my name on that log now.

Sorry to hear about your finger, no one said milling wood was for sissies. I'm sure you'll be back at it soon, gives you a chance to stock up on great logs.

Is that white oak big enough to quarter saw? That would be neat to have curly quarter sawn white oak.

Did you get a chance to start on that curly hard maple? I was excited to see that on sliced open.

5 hours ago, Bmac said:

Is that white oak big enough to quarter saw? That would be neat to have curly quarter sawn white oak.

Did you get a chance to start on that curly hard maple? I was excited to see that on sliced open.

I have plain cut one curly white oak log and I have two more curly white oak logs to cut. You need aleast a 24” log to QS and the ones I have are around 15” or so.

After lunch my wife and I will be cutting the curly hard maple.

Bmac you can’t see the curls in fresh cut lumber coming off the mill. Let it dry for a few days and the curls start to show up or you can plane it and see the curls. This hard maple curly.

506CF453-353D-4BF0-8732-2AE0692B0779.jpeg

4B54B374-F712-429D-AC0B-E60EC8D74BA6.jpeg

748E2032-E993-4F81-B577-44876B3E944F.jpeg

• Like 1

That’s pretty curly in my opinion. I would say that’s as good as any of the curly soft maple that I send you.

68FC61B8-EA25-4F2A-A7FD-91B31FC4295F.jpeg

903D38FC-712D-4295-A0F9-D0645C3DC128.jpeg

D49530CD-673E-4E6B-9C27-D164DA8D59C0.jpeg

CC33D429-1006-4D35-A892-6B02E45EFB9C.jpeg

E8B85645-EC71-4A85-A119-BD14D9A440FC.jpeg

• Like 1