Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

5 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

I don't know what that means.

Pondhockey, you see the snake skin design on the sides of the boards and on top of the board?

1F8F5098-2D95-47AA-AE2B-25B218F1C038.jpeg

CA22713B-A459-48C5-99B5-984FC4096FD0.jpeg

Quartersawn on both sides means your cuts through the center of the log gives you quartersawn lumber on either side of the pith/center, right Spanky?

Nice looking sycamore, do you get a chance to mill that often? Why didn't you quartersaw the whole log?

2 hours ago, Bmac said:

Quartersawn on both sides means your cuts through the center of the log gives you quartersawn lumber on either side of the pith/center, right Spanky?

Nice looking sycamore, do you get a chance to mill that often? Why didn't you quartersaw the whole log?

I did quarter saw the sycamore log. On smaller logs I make my first cut just above the center of the log and kick that piece off the mill. Then I make a couple of cuts and get the super wide boards that you see in the pic. Then I turn whats left up and start QS lumber. Not as much waste that way. They are two ways to QS logs.

That piece that’s on the mill you will get rift and QS out of it. The piece on the ground will cut rift and QS. But, you get narrow boards. The huge logs I spilt four times and start sawing on one quarter. Cut one board and flip, cut one board and flip back.

RIW, likes QS lumber. But, he didn’t know how you cut it. So, he came over one day and we cut a big white oak.  He don’t cry as bad, now at the price.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got it, I see how you are doing it. Smaller logs getting the quartersawn pieces out of the middle and getting rift and quarter out of the top and bottom pieces on either side of the middle. Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

Spanky,  can you get your dog bathed and cleaned up a bit. I’ve already got him clearance on my return flight as a service animal:rolleyes:. He’ll love Houston’s heat and humidity

• Haha 1

Coop, I can tell by the way you are talking. That I will need to get my double barrel shotgun out. If you come to my house.:D

Hi Spanky. Do you have any gum trees of size that can be milled? Years ago Dixie plywood offered in in plywood and was the best for painting. Even better than poplar. I do not have a need now. Just curious.

3 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Hi Spanky. Do you have any gum trees of size that can be milled? Years ago Dixie plywood offered in in plywood and was the best for painting. Even better than poplar. I do not have a need now. Just curious.

Yes, we have big gum tree’s here. Blackgum, Sweetgum or some call it redgum. Sweetgum has a lot of sap wood on it. But, if you can get sweetgum with alot of heart wood it’s pretty. A couple of pic’s of sweetgum or redgum.

7B9D3983-918D-405E-AD12-F147FB27F4E7.jpeg

A1CC980E-786E-4204-B6BC-6B68537597F5.jpeg

• Like 1

Curlyoak, do you still want to paint gum lumber?:D  Blackgum, would be what you, would want to paint.

9EC4E156-C170-453C-9465-DEC270FDA8D0.jpeg

Not for painting. The gum I remember was mostly white...Polished wood and varnish would be beautiful...

Treeslayer, I think it may have to do with the soil. Some of the prettiest red gum lumber comes out of the middle of Alabama. What we have look’s more like the second pic. But, if you can get it with a lot of heart wood it will be pretty with a lot of red colors. I think aging a sweetgum log will help on the color. 

The guy that sells to Woodcraft buys red gum lumber down around Cullman, Al. It looks like the first pic. Hard to get it looking like that. It’s not cheap!

The big heart sweetgum tree’s or like finding a curly tree. Most sweetgum tree’s are all sap wood. The second log in the pic has heart wood.

076324F2-B71B-43F9-B626-7A3AEC7E8D48.jpeg