Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

My wife and I have a trip planned in Sept. to visit Rick and Linda and the game plan WAS to fly to Nashville. I may just drive and rent a big ass trailer and bring me back some Tennessee lumber.

• Like 1

Coop, just come with the big trailer. Has anybody ever run up on a skillet in a rock in the mtns?

EB2E6DE4-A725-4D48-9B8C-AB5400FE2D5F.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve flown over Tennessee but never landed there. Cal is supposed to be the land of the tree huggers. Looking forward to the experience. 

16 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Here’s pic of a peckerpole yellow popular tree in the mtn.

3DE83AEC-39B4-40D9-9204-9DE46A510C54.jpeg

whoa, a tree and a half.  They grow them that way in Tennessee?

Yes, that’s a Tennessee tree, that tree and skillet rock a few mile from my house. The pic’s was made in the 80’s the tree going down hill now. They cut that tract of timber in 2003 or 2004 nobody will cut that tree. 

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

My wife and I have a trip planned in Sept. to visit Rick and Linda and the game plan WAS to fly to Nashville. I may just drive and rent a big ass trailer and bring me back some Tennessee lumber.

Coop, you need to see Fall Creek Falls State Park, and ride the swinging bridge. The swinging bridge, can make you wet your pants.

F3522C96-DF26-4C4D-9BEB-D7CEB739DBCC.jpeg

75C25FCC-09EE-43E8-A289-54477A43AAD3.jpeg

• Like 2

Love talking about milling, like a lot of your photos also.

When I get the chance I do a little chainsaw milling. I have the access to the wood and I love milling, it's addicting. It was very impressing with your earlier post where you split that huge maple log done the middle with a chainsaw. It looks like you did that freehand!

With my chainsaw mill I can handle logs up to 34", using a 42" bar. I know I earn every board I cut, milling is hard work. I tend to buck my logs at about 7' because I usually saw by myself and I can't handle much larger boards. Also because of the waste with a chainsaw mill I usually cut 9/4 or 10/4 thick boards. Minimizes waste and I just resaw on my bandsaw in the shop. 

My saws are Stihls, two MS 660s run my mills and both have ported mufflers to breath better and run cooler.

Here's a pic of my mill cutting crotch walnut, 36" bar is on the mill for this cut.

1590737440_Milling5.JPG.fd180def8a4b03b064bf8ae4cf09bf62.JPG

I only live edge crotch wood, I try to square up at least one side if it's not crotch wood. Here's some pretty walnut;

1222690241_Milling3.JPG.52e674b0ffc98f574fdacba7a46c31fc.JPG

Not sure how this will behave when it dries but I couldn't resist milling it with all the color and swirl in the grain.

643464956_Milling6.JPG.c5d3179f7e657e09186541cbbb68ac83.JPG

milling.JPG

• Like 2

I have a chainsaw mill to, you are a hardworker, that’s forsure. About four cut’s and your chain need’s filing in oak. You need two powerhead’s on one bar, are that’s what i needed on mine. 

Some day i'd love to have a bandmill just a small guy. I have dreams about buying a couple acres with lake shore and building a cabin from the trees on the lot. It'll probably never happen but a guy can dream can't he?

38 minutes ago, Spanky said:

I have a chainsaw mill to, you are a hardworker, that’s forsure. About four cut’s and your chain need’s filing in oak. You need two powerhead’s on one bar, are that’s what i needed on mine. 

I milled 6 hickory logs this winter, man they did a number on me and my chains. I was sharpening the chain with every tank of gas. I've become good at sharpening chains! 

I've even quarter sawn red oak with my mill, don't think I'll do that again but it was an experience. I have a few nice white oak logs sitting on my property now that I'm going to quatersaw, but I'm hiring a bandsaw mill for that job.

33 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Some day i'd love to have a bandmill just a small guy. I have dreams about buying a couple acres with lake shore and building a cabin from the trees on the lot. It'll probably never happen but a guy can dream can't he?

The more I mill with the chainsaw the more I think about getting a bandsaw mill. And yes, a dream come true to buy a few acres on a lake and build your house from the trees on the property. 

I need to get a bigger trailer.

Spanky, If I wasn't working for a living, I'd come work for you just for fun.

• Like 1

If only I had the a way to transport back east and the money, I would be heading down to see Spanky, help at the mill, have a few cocktails and stock up on some lumber.  Spanky did you build the kiln?  How many BF can it handle?  

7 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

If only I had the a way to transport back east and the money, I would be heading down to see Spanky, help at the mill, have a few cocktails and stock up on some lumber.  Spanky did you build the kiln?  How many BF can it handle?  

Yes, around 2,000 bdft. 

I have a lot of short walnut piece’s to cut. I hate, to cut them on the mill, they are a lot of trouble to hold. Rick, can you see a walnut trestle bench here?

AAECAC9A-E2BE-4160-8C41-0D845F8395A7.jpeg

• Like 1