Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

Dale  I have a couple of box elder found on the river bank. I think maybe I can cut them this winter.

22 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Dale  I have a couple of box elder found on the river bank. I think maybe I can cut them this winter.

How big are they ?

The Walnut that I made our kitchen cabinets out of, in 1980, was a standing dead log that all the sapwood had rotted off of, and it had been struck by lightning. A lot of it was lost to the split from the lightning strike, but it was a big log.  Any of it that wasn't affected by the lightning strike was just fine.  There used to be a mill near here that belonged to the Forestry Department of the University of Virginia.   They sawed it for me so they could study what had happened to it after all that it had gone through.   I still have some of it in one of the buildings here, but kind of forget which batch it is now.

2 hours ago, RIW said:

Anyone beside Rick and me like Box Elder ??

What makes you think I like box elder? As far as I'm concerned, box elder is not good for building furniture. It may be okay for boxes and small wood projects, but it has no value to me.

7 hours ago, RichardA said:

What makes you think I like box elder? 

Rick I think RIW, was talking about me liking Box Elder.

I will be cutting  a few poplar logs today. I have one or two that may cut out rainbow color lumber.

I had a wide 14ft. plank of rainbow poplar that had some amazing purple sections but it didn't stay that color. It aged to just a muddy dark brown. I wonder if I had used it and finished it when I got it would have made a difference ?

Come on Dave, tell me you like a little color in your poplar lumber. :lol:

Amish are getting $4.50 bdft for that.

4321F8AB-4CBA-4D67-90A5-854CC3BFF56A.jpeg

BFE12567-BA7A-4658-9C34-BD167C5BF5EF.jpeg

9178FC32-1326-4403-82D4-7FA2ECB4C15D.jpeg

21 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

I had a wide 14ft. plank of rainbow poplar that had some amazing purple sections but it didn't stay that color. It aged to just a muddy dark brown. I wonder if I had used it and finished it when I got it would have made a difference ?

I think it all turns that color. But not forsure on that.

Beautiful purples Spanky !

I wonder if a finish with UV filtering would slow the change down.  Seal it up & avoid direct sunlight is all I can think of. Boards like that at the mill I buy from are around $2 -$2.50. Quantity and narrower stuff is under $2 and that is for S3S FAS. 

Of course I had to dig through an entire bundle to select out the rainbow pieces. They let me hand select cause I always put the stack back neat & straight. Having sequenced boards is worth a premium.

Do you offer surfacing & straight line rip 1 edge or just rough lumber ? My mill planes to 13/16 unless you request rough. Price difference is only pennies per ft.

• Like 1

I surface if you want that. But most guys want it rough. I dry my lumber with the live edge on the boards. After I kiln dry the lumber then I run the lumber threw the edger so both side are straight. 

• Like 1

I need Walnut 12/4 and 8/4 and 4/4. But you could hear me squeal in Spencer  !!  

Edited by RIW
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Spanky said:

My ole buddy not talking today? Whats up with that Dave? :)

Building a 26X26 addition on to a friends house for his wood shop, plus my shop is running wide open with projects, don’t retire, you get too busy :) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RIW said:

I need Walnut 12/4 and 8/4 and 4/4. But you could hear me squeal in Spencer  !!  

You may need to go to your rathole for money. :o