Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

4 hours ago, Bmac said:

My family farm also has a cherry with a big burl, what has been your experience with cherry burls?

I have never cut a cherry burl before. I would like to.

12 minutes ago, Spanky said:

I have never cut a cherry burl before. I would like to.

When I get over to the farm next month I'll get a photo of this burl, it looks promising, but I've never cut a burl before so I'm not sure if there are tricks to how you cut them.

I have cut a few burls. I cut them 8/4. The burl wood bad about cracking as it drys.

The key to minimize cracking is likely to slow down and control the drying rate. I'll cut it at 8/4 or 9/4. I think I may also paint it with anchorseal to slow the drying. Because the nature of a burl is such that the swirling grain means you end up with essentially exposed endgrain on your milled surface. Coating it with the anchorseal, starting the drying in winter, putting sun protective fabric around the pile, and putting the burl wood in the middle of the pile are the tricks I know to slow down air drying. 

10 hours ago, Pondhockey said:

Are there tricks for drying burl?

What Bmac said, are all the tricks I know about drying burl wood. 

Anyone remember the site that someone suggested to use for shipping?  I think it was probably for independent truckers that wanted to add to there load. 

U Ship......

Coop the good curly maple and wide ambrosia maple should be out of the kiln by Monday.

• Like 1

A guy that flips houses in Knoxville came and just about got all my QS Red Maple lumber. 

A guy came and got all my QS White Oak lumber too.

Coop how many boards of the curly maple are you wanting? Let me know so I can keep what you want in curly maple.

A guy wanting 200 bdft of the curly maple for cabinets.

B7220D2B-3091-4345-A258-218FC97AD1FA.jpeg

8 hours ago, Spanky said:

Coop how many boards of the curly maple are you wanting? Let me know so I can keep what you want in curly maple.

See pm

Dale can you hear me squealing? I just bought a good 10 ft butt cut (first log on the tree) walnut log.  :o

3 hours ago, Spanky said:

Dale can you hear me squealing? I just bought a good 10 ft butt cut (first log on the tree) walnut log.  :o

Rickey, what will you be doing with it? With you squealing, it’s got to be prime stuff? 

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Rickey, what will you be doing with it? With you squealing, it’s got to be prime stuff? 

Coop I guess 2” x12” x 10’ lumber. Everybody asking for 8/4 walnut lumber. It has about 1/2” of white sap wood around the log.

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Qtr. sawn, probably not? 

No, I can’t stand to lose 20%.

1 minute ago, Spanky said:

Coop I will be getting 4 butternut logs to.

I’d like to see those logs before cutting and after. We din’t get good stuff like that around here. 

Just now, Spanky said:

No, I can’t stand to lose 20%.

I figured. 

Do you have that walnut log at your shop?  I'm coming by tomorrow kinda early, around 8.  

3 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Do you have that walnut log at your shop?  I'm coming by tomorrow kinda early, around 8.  

No, I will be picking them up next week at a log yard.

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

Coop I guess 2” x12” x 10’ lumber. Everybody asking for 8/4 walnut lumber. It has about 1/2” of white sap wood around the log.

I cut almost all of my walnut at 8/4 or 9/4, really versatile that way, esp with the work I like to do. Resawing and bookmatching is always an option too with that thickness. It does make it harder work, those boards are going to be heavy.