Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

Want to see all my help on this log? Me and Ole Spanky.  :lol: Spanky the boss I do the work.

4347FCDD-CA10-4180-BA99-049750BD0440.jpeg

The log black and blue in the ends of the log. But look at the color of the lumber.

E99A112C-A771-40F2-B41F-2E5FC8F43247.jpeg

915BC8F3-33A7-4034-8798-E1AE00F3CD95.jpeg

244FD05B-4D3B-444C-9877-E2589DBC7692.jpeg

9A88144A-0526-4BC6-A539-A97AAA53779C.jpeg

$45 seems pretty reasonable for such a big blade. My 14" bandsaw blades are usually over $20 - $25 apiece.

Can you sharpen them ? In place or send them out ?

4 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

Wow, did the wood bind on the blade or dd the log twist on you?

That mill has alot of hp it will saw faster than a 1 1/2” wide 0.55 thick 1” tooth spacing can stand. That’s pretty common breaking blades, if you are making super wide cuts and sawing fast.

4 hours ago, wdwerker said:

$45 seems pretty reasonable for such a big blade. My 14" bandsaw blades are usually over $20 - $25 apiece.

Can you sharpen them ? In place or send them out ?

I have a flattening roller, tooth setter and a band blade sharper. Buy 20 at a time plus shipping. Break one a week, hit one nail a week 20 blades go pretty fast. If you are lucky you can get 5 to 6 runs out of a blade 1,000 bdft to a run maybe alittle more. They will start breaking after that bad.

Sawing 5 or 6 days a week you will break a blade or two a week. Maybe a old blade could be a new blade. You will hit metal in logs that will junk a blade.

Bmac the hydraulic on the new big mills,  so fast turning logs that you better have four corners anchored in concrete. Are the front end of the mill will turn sideways with you.

5CE54BA6-1264-45FB-9586-877E98F3A85B.jpeg

• Like 2

I think poplar lumber has more water in it, then any other lumber. You can put poplar lumber in the kiln get the temp up to 135 and watch the dehumidifier run gals and gals of water out of the kiln. 

5 hours ago, Spanky said:

I think poplar lumber has more water in it, then any other lumber. You can put poplar lumber in the kiln get the temp up to 135 and watch the dehumidifier run gals and gals of water out of the kiln. 

Yet it does dry quick, correct?

I have six names on a list to call when kiln dried. All woodworkers but one and he wanting it for his house.

Coop they are some boards of that rainbow poplar that are 22” wide 10 ft long and not one knot. $7.00 bdft up to 8” wide 0.50 more for 2” wider,  that would be how much a  bdft. Now we are talking Houston lumber prices.