Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

34 minutes ago, Spanky said:

I had a woodworker here this week, that seen a curly ambrosia maple board 12 ft long 15” wide and say I got to have that board. So all woodworkers are not alike thats forsure.

What i buy and what i use aren't necessarily the same....  There is a reason my lumber rack looks like this. This is only my indoor storage. :(

7899577369957956073.thumb.jpg.67426d850c8bc0e083013275b2ec697c.jpg

Usually the phrase " I gotta have that board" means i'm buying that board and it's going to sit on this rack until i find the perfect place to use it.

• Like 1

Don’t any of you make a table top out of a wide board. By cutting it down and glueing it back so the table top would be out of the same board and it has the same look and grain? Alot of the guys want all the lumber for a table or whatever they are making to be out of the same log. So I have started stacking my lumber by the log now. Had a guy here this week buying that way. So they will buy the super wide boards and cut them down and glue them back up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Don’t any of you make a table top out of a wide board. By cutting it down and glueing it back so the table top would be out of the same board and it has the same look and grain? Alot of the guys want all the lumber for a table or whatever they are making to be out of the same log. So I have started stacking my lumber by the log now. Had a guy here this week buying that way. So they will buy the super wide boards and cut them down and glue them back up. 

Look back a few posts, here's what I said a few hrs ago;

"Tabletop would be the only application I'd likely want it to stay in one piece but a board that wide is likely to warp and twist some. So if I was to use it for a table top I'd still likely break it down, joint and plane, then reassemble. "

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Sorry Bmac,  I see that now.

I like mine 8-9 wide and as always quartersawn. 

5 minutes ago, RIW said:

I like mine 8-9 wide and as always quartersawn. 

You will buy wider than that!  ;) You don’t like to cut them down and do all the extra work. :)

The toy chest is a neat idea. I’ve never seen wood that color. Rickey, you mentioned earlier that poplar has much more moisture the other woods. Are you going to dry it as shown in the stack, with other woods? 

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

Are you going to dry it as shown in the stack, with other woods? 

Yes, soft maple and poplar dry about the same, butternut would be about the same to. 13.8% mc loss per day. Oak in the 2.5 to around 3% mc loss per day. Put fresh cut oak in with it and you will have a pile of junk oak.

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

The toy chest is a neat idea. 

Coop make a toy chest out of rainbow poplar, put little Junior’s name on it, date of birth and watch mama buy him one. :D

• Haha 1

Ha! Grandkids are 17 yo twins and college is looming. I wish toy chest were back in the picture. 

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Ha! Grandkids are 17 yo twins and college is looming. I wish toy chest were back in the picture. 

Give it 5 years....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Give it 5 years....

That will make Coop have great grandkids, they start calling you a oldtimer at the point.

• Haha 2

Coop have you seen the buckboard benchs? I ordered a couple buckboard bench hardware kits today.

One of my woodworkers makes them out of ambrosia maple lumber. 

• Like 1

No sir, never heard of them, until two minutes from now after Googling them.

Those are really cool. You and Spanky would look right smart sitting in one of those in the shade come spring time! 

• Like 1

One of those benches might come in handy in San Francisco or LA one of these days.....

6 hours ago, wdwerker said:

One of those benches might come in handy in San Francisco or LA one of these days.....

Yeah, as a truck driver we used to say , if we were going to LA, that we were going to "shaky",   I'll get blasted if I told you what truck drivers called San Francisco.   It was called "The --- Bay"

I was at the mill this morning looking for logs. Here’s what the ash logs are starting to look like here.

B49DBAF7-42C9-4320-B8E2-BC933002AB29.jpeg

C90809AE-4534-42D8-B680-5A50F4EF5466.jpeg

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Gary Beasley said:

How deep does that go in the wood? Ash borers?

Not sure on how deep. All that had any bark off looked like that. I didn’t see any in the ends of the logs, just under the bark.  I would say ash borers.

The Emerald Ash Borer lives in, and destroys, the tissue layer in between the bark and sap wood.  Ultimately this kills the tree, but they don't burrow into the wood iself. 

• Like 1