Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

That looks like some of the rail cars you see around here after the rattle can tramps get thru with them.

Cut the tree down, cut your on lumber and make something out of the lumber. That’s a real woodworker! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIW said:

Thought that was my truck for a second. The wood fairy had came.. 

And all you see is stains.

Rainbow poplar lumber not in the kiln and they are wanting me to put there name on the list to call as soon as it comes out of the kiln. Woodworkers...........:)like rainbow poplar.

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

Rainbow poplar lumber not in the kiln and they are wanting me to put there name on the list to call as soon as it comes out of the kiln. Woodworkers...........:)like rainbow poplar.

Man, Your hobby has become a full blown business!

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

I need a bigger kiln forsure. I have four loads of lumber waiting on the kiln now.

Is there a concern about wood movement if you let them set for that long before going into the kiln? Typing before thinking. I guess not, no different than stickering and air drying I guess. 

43 minutes ago, Spanky said:

A shipping container would make a good kiln. But if the shipping container was free, you would still need  $20,000.00 - $25,000.00 to make it into a kiln. Building a kiln will cost alot of money. It cost me $3,000.00 just to hook my water stove up to the kiln and I done all the work.

My wife was rolling her brown eyes at me before I got my kiln done. :ph34r: I was starting to think ole spanky and I may be living in it.

Oh man i got a lot of flack just for building a shed that cost $3k total. If i mentioned building a kiln i'd be out on the streets begging for a place to sleep.

Well maybe she don’t have 500 pairs.  But the shoe thing will get you out of trouble.

Now sir! Never seen any except in pics but it sure is purty! I gotta build up a stash while I’m gainfully employed! 

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

Now sir! Never seen any except in pics but it sure is purty! I gotta build up a stash while I’m gainfully employed! 

It frays a lot.  Keep a rattle can of shellec on hand to stiffen those frays then knock it all down one way or another.   Ask Dave.

37 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Surface or ends? Frays as in raising the grain?

Frays all along the face of the board.  There are a few, and damn few that don't fray. But most do. It's just an extra PITA you have to deal with when you use butternut.

9 hours ago, RichardA said:

Frays all along the face of the board.  There are a few, and damn few that don't fray. But most do. It's just an extra PITA you have to deal with when you use butternut.

Worse than poplar?