Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

13 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Nope, within the last week one went thru the ice. And a guy on a quad runner went thru, both died. The guys I know that do drive with the doors open for a quick escape, if they are lucky

There had to be equal amounts of alcohol and stupidity involved although I don’t mean to make light of a critical and fatal decision. 

2 hours ago, RichardA said:

After the years we've spent here, you have to know, that you are welcome in my house any day.

That is a most gracious offer and it is my intention to make you regret it. :P:D

I may have to take another look at a mule someday (and I don't mean Spanky).  We'll talk.

18 minutes ago, Byrdie said:

That is a most gracious offer and it is my intention to make you regret it. :P:D

I may have to take another look at a mule someday (and I don't mean Spanky).  We'll talk.

When I lived in Louisiana, they had a unique way of saying that you should come on down.    Brought yo butt here!

Coop a guy called this morning about rainbow poplar lumber. He ask me if it came from a rainbow tree.

44 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

Nope, within the last week one went thru the ice. And a guy on a quad runner went thru, both died. The guys I know that do drive with the doors open for a quick escape, if they are lucky

Really? The ice doesn't get that thick down there? Only a couple years ago the ice was over 4' thick.

Byrdie I can cut the trees and you can pull logs with the mules. I don’t know anything about them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Coop a guy called this morning about rainbow poplar lumber. He ask me if it came from a rainbow tree.

That’s like a lady (no offense) asking a car sales person if he can get the payments to meet her budget. Smack, you’ve got a sale!  Yes ma’am we can, with a 10 year finance. SWEET! 

14 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

The ice doesn't get that thick down there?

most lake water is ok, but you have to test drill it to be sure, some lakes are stream fed and can be thin, some drive on the Mississippi, current, stupidity, alcohol all play a factor on whether you live or not.

Just now, treeslayer said:

most lake water is ok, but you have to test drill it to be sure, some lakes are stream fed and can be thin, some drive on the Mississippi, current, stupidity, alcohol all play a factor on whether you live or not.

In Washburn, ND every year before the highway bridge got installed they used the Christmas trees to mark out a route across the Missouri river. This was their only access from one side to the other for 40 river miles in either direction. Doesn't seem like much now but back in the horse days or the model T days that was a long drive.

• Like 1

Yep, they did that here too before bridges were closer together, and real men used to cut ice out of the harbor in blocks and store them all year packed in sawdust in ice houses, just a couple of years before my time;)

I think I’ve told this story on here before but here goes again. My granddaughter was over for the weekend and I told her to go to the ice box and get something (pretty sure it wasn’t a beer). She said “ Big Daddy, what’s an ice box” ? I felt old and ignorant  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Ever driven a pickup on a lake?

Nope, but in the 1970s, before our native Mr. Gore invented the internet and global warming, I lived next to a 50+ acre lake, and walked across it 5 winters in a row.

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

The stories here are better than stopping at a old country store and sitting at the liars table listening to the ole timers tell tales.  Wait we are one of the ole timers.

I often don't think i meet the requirements to take part here.

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I often don't think i meet the requirements to take part here.

Trust me, you will be in a few short years. You will be the ole timer telling tales to the young guys.

• Like 1

Spanky maybe you can answer this question for me. Im turning some cherry logs a neighbor gave me and the sapwood is coming out bright yellow. What color will it turn when it dries?

4A98BE6E-D62B-43A2-940E-E43314CA1A85.jpeg

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

RIW looks like you need  more lumber in the shed. :ph34r:

I've been waiting for someone to call me and say they had some Quarter Sawn Curly Cherry but no luck..