Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

35 minutes ago, Spanky said:

I bet Cousin Dave likes that! :D

I thought you were down for awhile.  I would have came and helped you cut after church..

24 minutes ago, RIW said:

I thought you were down for awhile.  I would have came and helped you cut after church..

A poorboy has to work!

Yeah they are. Do you have a higher demand for 9/4 or is this being cut for an order?

9/4 would be nice to resaw and book match but I find I'm normally working with 4/4 if figure is involved.

Every time I happen across the Maloof Rocker in curly Maple, I think how amazing that would be, and difficult to source lumber for. Maybe not so hard..

Woodworkers are hard to cut lumber for. One wants this thickness one wants another. One wants shorts and the next guy wants long lumber. You would need a store as be as Walmart to put all the lumber in to please all the woodworkers. I gave up on that and just cut lumber now. :P 

I have started cutting 9/4 so if they want to resaw it to 4/4 book matched pieces they can.

You cut it just the way I like it. Resawing has made my woodworking so much better.

Three questions;

How many BF did you get out of that log?

I would think kiln drying 9/4 is alittle more difficult and you probaly can't mix thicknesses, right?

I would think cutting white oak at that thickness and drying it would be very difficult unless you air dried it some. Do you air dry your oak before putting in the kiln?

1 minute ago, Bmac said:

Three questions;

How many BF did you get out of that log?

I would think kiln drying 9/4 is alittle more difficult and you probaly can't mix thicknesses, right?

I would think cutting white oak at that thickness and drying it would be very difficult unless you air dried it some. Do you air dry your oak before putting in the kiln?

Around 200 bdft of curly hard maple.

I do mix thicknesses in the kiln. I will put 4/4 and 8/4 in the kiln. The 4/4 will get dry and I will take it out and load back on the 8/4.

All oak lumber needs to be air dried to 20% or under before I put it in the kiln.

• Like 1

If you load green oak lumber in a kiln you will make kindling out of it. I’m sure some of the new kilns you can kiln dry green oak lumber in.

• Thanks 1

Rickey knows his lumber. Wasn't sure what % you needed before the kiln, but knew you needed to air dry some.

As Rickey said, and from my experience, Oak is one of the more difficult woods to dry. It tends to dry slowly and if you go to fast you'll get case hardening and surface checking. With oak, I like to mill it in the winter so it has a few months to dry slowly before the warmer months come. I also put windscreen around my piles to slow the air circulation and hence slow the drying rate. I just cut a bunch of 8/4 WO, I'm thinking 3-4 years air drying, maybe more. These thick oak boards may make me find a kiln for final drying.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

@Bmac does cutting in the winter give you much of a head start, since the sap supposedly retreats to tge root system when the tree os dormant?

I'm sure Rickey can answer this better, since I've milled far fewer logs than him. I've heard that "summer" logs hold more water than "dormant" logs, but in the end I don't think it amounts to enough of a difference to really matter. The bark seems to be much easier to remove once the sap begins to flow, but Rickey can confirm or dispute this as it's more of just an observation by me. 

If I got oak logs to mill in the spring, I'd likely just keep them till late fall and then mill them to give them the colder months to start and dry. When air drying you have free water and bound water. The free water will leave the boards fairly quickly, but the bound water is in the wood cells and oak doesn't release this quickly, and if you rush it in oak you will ruin your lumber.

What I have noticed that is really interesting, is how little logs dry when left in the round. A few years ago I milled a downed walnut. Tree had been down for at about 3 years, it was still soaking wet inside. I think the bark, when on the log, prevents or really slows drying. At least this is my take on it.

• Thanks 1

I think the tree sap runs up and down with the sun going north and south. Cutting timber you can tell by the middle of July that the tree sap has started down in the trees. It will start coming back up by the first of the year. Here the bark will start coming off the logs by March and by late August you can’t knock it off. November and December would be the best months to cut trees with low sap.

I can put 2,000 bdft of green lumber in my kiln and for the first 4 or 5 days gals and gals of water will come out of the lumber.

• Thanks 1

I picked the curly cherry log out at a log yard a few days ago. The owner said that log not curly. OK we will see! 

They are more than one style of curls to read on a curly log to know if its curly. The average Joe would say this log has no curls. But he would be wrong.

283429DE-6BED-4A18-A35C-0569C3499539.jpeg

23F97D35-3ACB-4481-B364-26CF14A2A6FF.jpeg

Wait Coop, I will send 80 bdft of curly cherry lumber to Houston, you build two chairs and send one back to Tennessee.  :lol:

I want one, but Bmac ( well maybe chestnut) the only guys that I know that can build one and I get to sit in it before I die of old age.

Just joking Coop you may have yours builded by now. B)

On 4/12/2019 at 9:24 PM, K Cooper said:

I guess as they say, things really do run in threes. I had my second eye lid surgery today and have a series of stitches running across both. I look like a Raggedy Ann doll. 

I wanted to react to this comment but I didn't know if laughing at the humor in it, reacting sad or liking it would be appropriate.  Sad you had to go through this, laughing at your description and appreciate (like) that you took the time to comment and share.  Hope you recover soon and well.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2019 at 10:47 AM, RichardA said:

Hey Rickey.. Since you showed off your injury, I felt it only proper to expose mine.  This came about from a push stick that got caught by the splitter and drove it downward into the blade.  Not a major problem, the hand is still functional, but tightly gripping anything is kinda  a no-no.  Nine stitches

DSC02433.JPG

Bet an ice cold glass with some medication in helps it feel better.

14 minutes ago, Byrdie said:

Bet an ice cold glass with some medication in helps it feel better.

Every hour.

3 hours ago, Byrdie said:

I wanted to react to this comment but I didn't know if laughing at the humor in it, reacting sad or liking it would be appropriate.  Sad you had to go through this, laughing at your description and appreciate (like) that you took the time to comment and share.  Hope you recover soon and well.

Thanks Byrdie, all is good. Not like six weeks ago when they cut the inside of my eyelids and the stItches were rubbing against the eyes and I couldn’t drive for a week. Now, I look like I’ve been in a big dog fight but I can see the top and bottom of trees at the same time. 

I picked up two more curly cherry logs today.  Somebody logging on the right side of the mtn.

• Like 1