Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

Shoes aren't required.  Story goes that the shirt rule was added at the request of the beer cart girls.

• Haha 1

Coop I will let you look at it, if you come in. :) But I want show it to Dave. :lol:

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Spanky said:

I don’t like a thin cutting board. Around 1.75” to 2”.  :P

I guess I don't see the point and they are heavy to move around to clean.

• Like 1

I like the substantial feel of a 2" cutting board. End grain that thick or thicker makes sense if you are hacking a side of beef with a cleaver, but for most purposes, a thin board really is more practical.

• Like 1

I think end grain boards do better in thicker dimensions for the strength. A side grain board will be a lot harder to break at thinner dimensions, I have one I made from a leyland cypress tree I took down at my old house that is holding up quite well.

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

Gary have you turned any on the tiger hard maple?

Just the one platter, Ive been a bit busy travelling, the the deck rebuild, now a trip out of state tomorrow to see family. I have a butternut bowl on the lathe now letting a coat of stain cure, be working on that when I get back.

Gary, post a pic of the butternut bowl stained if you will? After getting some butternut from Spanky and working with it, it ranks now up there with walnut and cherry imo. 

Coop, I have been cutting sweetgum tie logs all day. I have alittle red gum lumber now. Coop, I can see a box or two in the red gum with a tiger hard maple top. :) I may need to send alittle to a guy in Delaware to.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Spany, is sweetgum decent to work? I've hear the grain interlocks, tears out bad with blades, and its bad to warp.

I don’t know about working with it. But it cuts good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Gary, post a pic of the butternut bowl stained if you will? After getting some butternut from Spanky and working with it, it ranks now up there with walnut and cherry imo. 

Its nothing that looks like stain, its called “natural” color and looks a bit like a danish oil coat and helps make the grain pop. Im not home right now so I cant get a picture but when I finish it I will post a shot.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Spany, is sweetgum decent to work? I've hear the grain interlocks, tears out bad with blades, and its bad to warp.

I’ve worked with it Ross and it’s not bad at all, I did have a small table top split but it was my fault and not the wood, properly dried should give you no problem. Some boards will warp in the drying process but that can be dealt with

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Ive turned quite a bit of it making pens, fairly fine grained and turned well. Biggest complaint Ive heard about it is the wood movement can be extreme. I also hear a lot of it is being used to make chopsticks.

8 hours ago, Spanky said:

Coop, I have been cutting sweetgum tie logs all day. I have alittle red gum lumber now. Coop, I can see a box or two in the red gum with a tiger hard maple top. :) I may need to send alittle to a guy in Delaware to.

Glad you thought of me. I'd love to try it out.

7 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

Ive turned quite a bit of it making pens, fairly fine grained and turned well. Biggest complaint Ive heard about it is the wood movement can be extreme. I also hear a lot of it is being used to make chopsticks.

I've heard the same, it isn't the most stable. Tends to warp and twist quite a bit during initial drying. Once dry it moves a fair bit.