Tennessee Curly Cherry

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here a couple pics of curly cherry lumber. Look at the outside of the boards in the first pic, thats what a curly tree will look like.

I want to show you what I got from Houston today. Talk about a box maker check this out.

Put a few more sticks of lumber up on the rails.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

No sir, not at all. Did you fill it with ca glue? 

Mostly, some of it I rubbed Titebond into it and rubbed sawdust into it. Its hard to get a complete fill as the glue only goes in partway and as the wood is turned away fresh gaps can appear.

21 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Bmac I will pm you a few pics soon. If I post them on here, Dave will be coming up my driveway wanting it. :)

I have the 9/4 tiger hard maple kiln dried. Maybe I can get your order out soon.

Sounds like a plan, I’ll pm you on the maple to coordinate.

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

Bmac I will pm you a few pics soon. If I post them on here, Dave will be coming up my driveway wanting it. :)

I have the 9/4 tiger hard maple kiln dried. Maybe I can get your order out soon.

Hang on to the scraps on that stuff, it makes so really pretty bowls and platters.

• Like 1

Sweet gum is probably almost as soft as Basswood.

An old man told me once that he built a chicken coop out of green Sweet Gum.  He said in about a year, the inside was on the outside.

edited to add: I looked it up.  Sweet Gum is janka 850   Basswood is 410, so it's harder than I thought it would be.  It's no good for firewood though.  We used to use it to keep a fire going when we didn't want much heat.  I know a lot of people that won't even burn it.

The last stand of timber we had thinned, the Pine brought $15.25 a ton, and Sweet Gum, that grows like weeds in a new stand of Pines, brought a dollar a ton.

• Like 1