Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

3 hours ago, Spanky said:

Mark J, when are you getting out of the big city and coming south to the country? 

I wish it was this fall, but it won't be.  We were in Raleigh, NC this month, but my wife's just not taken with it :(.  So on the return trip we decided to come back up through Nashville again, and that she likes :).  I dunno it's still more talk than action. 

Mark,  we’re taking a trip up to Nashville in Oct. from Houston. What are your recommendations as a tourist to see and do? 

Coop, I may be out of town the whole month of October.  I have a cousin that lives in Eastern Iowa :D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Coop, I may be out of town the whole month of October.  I have a cousin that lives in Eastern Iowa :D

Is his name Dave?

6 hours ago, Mark J said:

I wish it was this fall, but it won't be.  We were in Raleigh, NC this month, but my wife's just not taken with it :(.  So on the return trip we decided to come back up through Nashville again, and that she likes :).  I dunno it's still more talk than action. 

6 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Mark,  we’re taking a trip up to Nashville in Oct. from Houston. What are your recommendations as a tourist to see and do? 

You two need to stop by here when your in the area.

Rickey, I got a new business angle for you. Look at these prices for paulownia, can't believe what these guys are selling it for! I figured with 6 boards in a pack they are selling this stuff for $13-16 a board foot.

• SURFBOARD WOOD PACKS - 6 BOARDS PER PACK

All Timber In this category has been machined

• 6 feet - 8 feet Long

• 1" x 4" x 72"
    $200.00
  • 1" x 4" x 72" #2 Stock with Knots & blemishes
    $175.00
  • 1" x 4" x 84" long
    $210.00
  • 1" x 4.5" x 84" long
    $215.00
  • 1" x 5" x 84" long
    $225.00
  • 1" x 6" x 78" long
    $248.00
  • 1" x 6" x 84" long
    $250.00
  • 1" x 4" x 95" long
    $248.00
  • 1" x 6" x 95" long
    $300.00

7 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Well I'm no tour guide, but besides the above the Parthenon (replica) was really cool.  We don't know anything about the country music scene, cause we've mostly been investigating neighborhoods.  

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 8:34 PM, Gary Beasley said:

Not much, just made an upgrade on my sharpening system. Got a 220 grit CBN wheel and put it on a variable speed grinder I had. Then I had bought a Wolverine style mount Robo Rest for platform grinding and had to devise a mount for it. Tried it out today on a small well dried oak bowl and got really good results.

Next I have a small reduction gear motor with a speed control on the way from Ebay so I can adapt my lathe for slow speed poly application for a more perfect finish without hours of sanding.

Once I have that working I want to try it out on the butternut bowl I have turned. Stuff I was trying to use kept getting ripples and runs. 

If you want to see what I posted on the AAW forum about the reduction motor:

http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/slow-speed-finish-on-my-dvr.15061/

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

Man, I need to get the Houston Boy to start marketing my lumber. 

Are you building up a healthy supply? 

On 8/1/2019 at 8:11 PM, K Cooper said:

Are you building up a healthy supply? 

No, I haven’t been cutting alot of lumber for the woodworker’s this summer. The money in cutting cross tie’s and hardwood flooring lumber. But, I still have enough to load your old station wagon down. ;)

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

Cousin Dave, my wife wanted a new coffee table. I have a guy making her one out of walnut and tiger hard maple. Here’s a few pics of the test fit. It will have two drawers and a bottom shelf.  The side panels and drawer fronts will be tiger hard maple.

309704BD-3315-46B4-BB7B-CEBD9854E108.jpeg

AED28B2A-5A57-420C-A3C0-C4610DDD35EC.jpeg

7119373E-D7EA-477B-B9D1-B34B6B7D84A7.jpeg

That's damn nice work, Don't forget I have done stuff for you, and could always handle another commission.

1 hour ago, RichardA said:

That's damn nice work, Don't forget I have done stuff for you, and could always handle another commission.

I will.......but I have alot of woodworker’s that buy lumber from me. So I need to spread it around alittle.

I guess, it’s about Houston time!    :ph34r:

Yeah, you're right.  Spread it around.  I've never had a owner of a lumber yard, take such an interest in woodworkers.  Ya done good Rickey.  

My wife came up with the table she wanted. I picked the lumber and John making the table.

On 8/1/2019 at 5:47 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Ken, you'd probably enjoy a tour of the Hermitage. Lots of cool period furniture and woodwork to see. 

If I was making the trip by myself, I could certainly see me doing just that. 

8 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

That’s different, what makes the color do you know?

Not sure.......