Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

5 hours ago, Spanky said:

I think, I have two 7” x 9” blocks about a foot long, of that spalted black gum.

What do you think they are worth? I’ve turned black gum before, makes a pretty bowl but you cant have any pith near it or it splits darn near in two.

7 hours ago, Gary Beasley said:

What do you think they are worth? 

Well if I’m selling,  black gum a rare tree plus being spalted makes it alot higher. They are just a few in the mtns and are hard to get out of the mtns. :D

Cousin Dave would I make a used car saleman’s in Houston?

Gary you can have them Free........

37 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Cousin Dave would I make a used car saleman’s in Houston

Years ago there was a used car salesman by the name of Art Grindle here in Houston that got his fame from loud tv commercials and from jumping up and down on his cars. Sold the crap out of them. Rickey, take away the white shirt and tie and replace them with overalls and ........ No, you’re too laid back and easy going. Better stay in the mountains and make your fortune off us woodworkers! 

91A17E9F-AC66-4F5F-A534-8CD2593191C2.jpeg.748a07243126b80348991de70fb20a02.jpeg

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Well if I’m selling,  black gum a rare tree plus being spalted makes it alot higher. They are just a few in the mtns and are hard to get out of the mtns. :D

Cousin Dave would I make a used car saleman’s in Houston?

Gary you can have them Free........

Well, if I can get my hands on some you’ll get a bowl out of it.

• Like 1

Black Gum here doesn't get as big as anything.  I don't think I've ever seen one over 6" in diameter, and that was a rare one.  They do add a little color in the Fall, but that's about the best I can say about them.

5 minutes ago, Gary Beasley said:

Well, if I can get my hands on some you’ll get a bowl out of it.

I guess, I can call my buddy and have him drop them off at your house.

13 minutes ago, Spanky said:

I guess, I can call my buddy and have him drop them off at your house.

Good, he can pick up that little bowl I made from the offcut I got from you during our visit. 

26 minutes ago, Spanky said:

@B1rdhunter are you still in the hospital?

I am home in bed wondering why anybody would replace both knees at the same time. 

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, B1rdhunter said:

I am home in bed wondering why anybody would replace both knees at the same time. 

Got it behind you and you can milk it for as long as you like! Honey, will you get me a bowl of ice cream, etc. A quick recovery to ya bud! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Got it behind you and you can milk it for as long as you like! Honey, will you get me a bowl of ice cream, etc. A quick recovery to ya bud! 

Sounds like the voice of experience.

You woodworkers need to be buying up cherry and walnut lumber. They are both at a rock bottom price. 4/4 Fas Kiln Dried Cherry at $1.50 bdft. 4/4 Fas Kiln Dried Walnut at $3.58 bdft. That’s the Hardwood Market Report this week. Just wait till China starts back to buying the lumber. They have killed the lumber price this year. The best red oak   log at 0.45 bdft in the log. 4/4 Fas Kiln Dried Red Oak lumber at $1.12 bdft. The sawmill guy’s are starting to cry.

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

You woodworkers need to be buying up cherry and walnut lumber. They are both at a rock bottom price. 4/4 Fas Kiln Dried Cherry at $1.50 bdft. 4/4 Fas Kiln Dried Walnut at $3.58 bdft. That’s the Hardwood Market Report this week. Just wait till China starts back to buying the lumber. They have killed the lumber price this year. The best red oak   log at 0.45 bdft in the log. 4/4 Fas Kiln Dried Red Oak lumber at $1.12 bdft. The sawmill guy’s are starting to cry.

That is enough to make a sawmill guy cry. 

Have prices of logs dropped considerably also?

8 hours ago, Chestnut said:

A guy can only buy so much.

That would be true Nut.

8 hours ago, Bmac said:

That is enough to make a sawmill guy cry. 

Have prices of logs dropped considerably also?

The good white oak logs are still at a good price. Tree run hickory around 0.33 bdft in the log. Tree run poplar around 0.40 bdft in the log. All the logs and lumber price’s are going south now. Nobody wants ash, hickory, poplar, red oak or cherry lumber. Soft maple lumber redhot now. Green soft maple lumber in 4/4 at $1.33 bdft for green lumber. Almost the same price as white oak lumber.

I dunno where you are shopping...those prices haven't made it to my neck of the woods yet.

Of course, on this side of the TN river, there are exacty TWO places a fellow can walk un and buy hardwood lumber in hobby quantity. And both of them are almost 2 hr drive fom my house. :(

24 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I dunno where you are shopping...those prices haven't made it to my neck of the woods yet.

Ross, that’s the Hardwood Market Report Price’s. Hey, that comes from the west side of the Tn river. :P 

15A09DA9-0BE4-422A-897C-D0DAFBE6950C.jpeg

6CF79AEC-F417-4EF4-A2D7-ECF98FC084EF.jpeg

Rickey, having said that, do you have access to good quality walnut and cherry logs? Now may be your opp to make a nickel on us city slickers.