Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

Crows follow the Red-tails here. Blue Jays call out the Cooper’s. Crows follow the Red-tail only to try to steal the squirrels once caught. Cooper’s aren’t making a dent on the bird population here. 

Cooper’s? I’d hate like hell to know that’s what this thing is? How ironic! 

• Like 1

I know I have some pictures of that Crow somewhere, but couldn't find them.  I remembered that Pam has a Puppy Video with the Crows eating on the deck.  If you don't want to watch the whole video, they show up at about 3:30.  These are all black puppies, but they come in all colors.  Notice right at the end that they are trained to litter boxes.

Now that’s an idea worth considering. Imagine me flying a drone. “Houston, we have a problem”! 

• Haha 2

Cousin Dave with all the rain we are getting I have ran out of logs. So I guess, I will start picking on woodworkers now. :)

The green lumber price on 1 com  white oak went down Monday to 0.70 bdft. Poplar and Cherry went down to. The flooring yard I sell to, has cut all sawmills off the month of February on white oak lumber.

• Sad 1

That means you get some time off from sawing cross ties? Time for you and Spanky to take some road trips. 

Coop I called about some material handling equipment for my mill. They want $80,000.00 for it. ( I started crying like the ole boy from Eastern Iowa does, when he’s asked to get his money out) :lol: So being a redneck hillbilly, I’m building my on material handling equipment. 

• Like 2

Here’s a couple of pics of the live rollers that I’m building for my mill. When I get done with them, they will spin the crosstie’s and lumber off on to a live green chain.

52FFA08D-EB6A-44CB-8999-B6480D1EA302.jpeg

BD25E32C-F7BE-496E-939E-FA2AEED4D71E.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spanky said:

the hillbilly rollers has ... a backup gear. 

That's just in case something needs to be "resawn". 

• Haha 2

Coop, using a 34 tooth sprocket on the transmission and a 13 tooth sprocket on the roller with a 1750 rpm motor will the rollers be to fast or to slow in first gear on the transmission? Houston I have a question! :D

Your going to need the gear ratios on the transmission first before you can answer that.

Third gear speeds gonna be about 673 rpm, multiply that by the circumference of the rollers to get your inches per minute how fast the ties will rocket off the conveyor. Thats with the sprockets swapped to slow things down.

9 hours ago, Spanky said:

Coop, using a 34 tooth sprocket on the transmission and a 13 tooth sprocket on the roller with a 1750 rpm motor will the rollers be to fast or to slow in first gear on the transmission? Houston I have a question! :D

I think I don't know the answer to that one!!

The heavy duty #60 roller chain starting to make me cry. A 10 ft box will do just two rollers. Cousin Dave could a poorboy borrow alittle money? :ph34r:

874ACEAF-A240-4530-BE63-186287B4D6E4.jpeg

15F4F34D-850A-4E96-9162-5AB792D29E69.jpeg

Dang that's an impressive setup. So how do you revmatch shifts when the electric motor always spins at the same RPM?

If you were closer, I'd loan you the magnetic drill press for that job.  You could turn a steel plate into a mount for that transmission.  It'll drill up to a 1" hole through thick steel without stepping up bit sizes, and exactly where you want the hole.  Also, pretty larger holes with holesaws.  It will tap up to a 1" threaded through hole.  It won't do stopped threaded holes, or it would just snap the tap off.

If you need any taps up through 1", don't buy them.  I can send those to you on loan.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, I hope I don’t need a 1” tap. I have alot of tools, but I don’t have a magnetic drill. 

Rickey, what are the raised ridges on the roller in the foreground? 

Coop, that’s how you make a spiral roller with a stop plate at the end of the rollers. That will make the tie’s and lumber spin off on to the green chain with no hands on the tie’s or lumber. If you wrap the rollers the right way. 

If you want to come in, you can weld them on the rollers. I could use a good ole country boy’s help. :ph34r:

• Like 1