Spanky

Tennessee Curly Cherry

59 minutes ago, FallCreek said:

I just found this forum and joined today. I live on the Cumberland plateau and I gather relatively close to you and other members. Do you have kiln dried local hardwoods for sale?

Thanks

Welcome @FallCreek, Spanky is the man to see for sure, tell us about your shop, projects, tools you have or whatever and we are all learning so don’t hesitate to ask questions this is an awesome place to hang out. 

• Like 1

Bmac, go to sammaloofwoodworking on instagram and look at the rocker they made from curly maple.  It’s so fine ...

• Like 1

Well the state has closed the lumber yards, notsure about the tie yard. I’m just about out of logs with all the rain we are getting. I may need to start woodworking. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

@RIW you still working?

@FallCreek, welcome to the forum.

I’m still working. The boss LOVES his money more than life itself...

6 hours ago, FallCreek said:

I appreciate the response and very excited to join the forum although I don't have much knowledge to offer.

Neither did I, when I first joined. And I'll give a big +1 to @Spanky being a stand-up guy, with an excellent eye for lumber!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichardA said:

Welcome bud, I live close to you as well, and in answer to your question, Spanky does pick out the best logs he can find, saws them his self, and has his own kiln.  90% of what he sells is all furniture grade local hardwoods. And, he's a hell of a nice guy to deal with.

I agree with what @RichardA said and that don’t happen very often.:D  I’ve visited Spanky’s facility on three occasions and even bought and had shipped some of his lumber multiple times to Houston. And welcome bud to the forum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

My wife gets 4 more weeks off from work. Poor ole Spanky! :D

Better hope she dont find that rolling pin!:P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spanky said:

My wife gets 4 more weeks off from work. Poor ole Spanky! :D

I’m thinking that you poor wife is getting the raw end of the deal! ;)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Coop said:

I’m thinking that you poor wife is getting the raw end of the deal! ;)

You maybe right Coop! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coop said:

I agree with what @RichardA said and that don’t happen very often.:D  I’ve visited Spanky’s facility on three occasions and even bought and had shipped some of his lumber multiple times to Houston. And welcome bud to the forum. 

I grew up in Houston, actually Bellaire long before it became gentrified. Where in Houston do you live?

It’s in the back bedroom for safe keeping, waiting on that special project, like your’s probably still is? 

My wife has just about used all of the tiger hard maple up in things that she wanted made. I hate to ask but I need your piece back. :D

• Haha 1

Coop I have security cameras on my tiger maple. Spanky was looking at it awful hard last time he was here...

I have a nice slab about 8’ long but it’s gonna be hard to put a price on it. It’s probably rarer than TP. For the right price, I’d be willin! 

Coop, the bark has started to come off of the hard maple logs. You in on any tiger hard maple? The ole boy has started looking. I may need a new Houston Hat this year! :D

My wife and I made a road trip to Rockler today for an essential. They were out of toilet paper so I bought a router bit.

Heck yeah, always open to tiger maple. My uncle AAA is standing bye to pick it up.