Help finding new Hardwood Dealer / Lumber - New England

Curtis

After moving to RI five years ago I quickly found and used a Downes and Reader in Stoughton, MA.  Recently they were purchased by Rugby and their supply and prices are frustratingly erratic.  I am looking for dealer/lumbar yard recs from anyone in the New England area.  I am near Providence but work up in Dedham, MA.  So anything near Boston or South of Providence works for me.   I use mostly domestic hardwoods/softwoods and prefer rough as I do my own milling.  Thanks for the help. 

I don't know their gameplan (Rugby) but they definitely decided walk in buyers were a waste of their time, they don't bother to keep inventory, straight up refuse to post prices, and the guys in the yard don't know them and they cut way back on species offered.  They also randomly have three stainless kitchen sinks in the middle of all the rough lumber stacks for sale.  So weird.  

This was my go to because it was right on the way to/from work.  And they used to carry fantastic 8/4 tight Clear vert grain Doug Fir that I liked making doors out of  :(

When I lived in SE NY State I bought all of my hardwoods and exotics from M. L. Condon Lumber in White Plains, NY.  I've been gone from NY for 35 years, so I hope they are still there.

They had a large warehouse several counties to the North of White Plains and right near where I lived, so I could place a phone order with their White Plains office and they would put it on the next truck headed to their warehouse, for me to pick up the following day or sometimes even later that same day. They didn't do any selling at this warehouse, but getting my small orders delivered there quickly and with free shipping made it very convenient for me. I never had a quality problem with them. Every delivery was as good or better than I was expecting.

I know they aren't very close to where you are located, but I would trust them to ship orders to me if I still lived in the Northeast, if you can arrange it with them.

Charley  

• 3 years later...

This is an old thread, but it's good to hear about Reader.  I would put in a strong recommendation for Goose Bay Sawmill & Lumber in Chichester, NH.  Good selection, very fair prices, great people.  And they are open on Saturdays.

• Like 1