Shaker Doors with no router table

socoj2

Tongue & groove bits carefully set up should work hand held. Maybe add Dominos to reinforce the corners. Make the stock for the rails & styles double the final width (plus xtra for the kerf) . That gives you more surface to clamp the board down and balance the router on. 

You could do it with a router and edge guide, but the easy plywood router table suggestion is a good one.  Use your router base plate to mark the holes in a piece of 3/4 ply, drill and counter sink, plus drill a hole in the center for the router bit. Clamp the “table” to your bench and clamp a straight board to act as a fence, and route away.  You my need longer screws to hold the router to the table, but this set up should work fine.

56 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I have done it with just a combo blade on my tablesaw, if that helps.

This is How I would do it. Two passes one each way to center the groove and you can make the tenon on the TS as well. I guess that assumes you have a TS :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

This is How I would do it. Two passes one each way to center the groove and you can make the tenon on the TS as well. I guess that assumes you have a TS :o

now that im thinking about it. i have some diamond plate i would actually like to front the wood with so this is seeming like the best option.

2 hours ago, Brendon_t said:

Combo blade? Could you explain a bit more? Is that a profiled blade or you mean a medium tooth count?

I mean a 50T combination rip/crosscut blade. Nothing special.

Basic shaker doors have a square edge profile, so easy on the TS. The panel can be raised with a tall fence and angled blade, or using the cross-fence tablesaw cove method.

• Like 1