Master Closet Project - Assistance And Suggestions Please

I always made frame frames with mortises and tenons, and more years with a drill press mortising adapter than with a mortising machine. Any way is fine for face frames, especially since they don't have to be transported more than a few steps from where they're built.

Testimonial: I’m tight $$, and admit it. But I kept hearing this jive about the Domino and figured I could cut back on oxygen if I had to, to have one. I bought the 500 with their vac and haven’t regretted it once. I gave away my biscuit cutter, returned the ts tenoning jig that I had borrowed from a friend and sprayed my dedicated mortiser w/ WD-40 and stored it away. I can’ afford to buy walnut now but I have a Domino that I can’t do without. 

• Thanks 1

Out of curiosity, how much were the bids? Seems like there should be room in there for a new tool+materials. I had the 500 for a year or so, and sold it off for the 700 months ago. The 700 is an upgrade in just about every measurable way. It feels like a second gen tool. 

I love the examples you included. I dream of having a master closet big enough to handle that level of cabinetry. 

I have a 5hp shaper with a feeder and I doubt I would make my own Moulding. It would have to be something extraordinarily different for me to go through the expense and hassle. Really for tall crown, you want a moulder and not a shaper or router table. I see shop fox units or the William and hussey ones pop up for pretty cheap every once in awhile. It’s something better left to a mill work shop with a legit setup.  

On 7/27/2018 at 3:58 PM, wdwerker said:

Most big cities have pro shops that will build all of your doors and drawer fronts to your dimensions. That can take a large chunk of work out of a project for you. 

Most of these pro shops will even laser etch your name/logo/or whatever you want on the inside of the drawers. Which many years from now would be super cool.

On 7/29/2018 at 9:44 PM, Pwk5017 said:

Out of curiosity, how much were the bids? 

I used a company located in the mid-cities (between Dallas and Fort Worth) about 10 years ago to redo my kitchen.  They removed all of the cabinetry and removed the existing granite counter tops.  The ground an edge profile into my existing counter tops and added more granite to create a larger island.  The made all of the cabinetry out of pecan (which I really like as a middle between too much grain in oak and not enough grain in maple).  They installed the cabinets, redid the sheetrock for the backspash, tiled the backsplash, added electrical (under cabinet lighting and one accent light in a cabinet with a glass door) and included an expensive 36" vent hood over the range/oven.  All for $22K.

So I went back to them for the master closet job.  To be fair, I want to remodel the master bathroom at the same time.  So I asked for base cabinets for his and hers vanities.  Not a lot more than the closet.  The quote came back at $65,000.

Now I'm not sure how much the wood is going to cost.  But that will be my biggest expense.  I find it hard to believe that I would even spend $8,000 on this project if I did it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I have the book and I'm about 55 pages into it.  Really good information, including creating a drawing for each cabinet to record measurements back to a spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet (which an example is given) is used to create a materials and cut list, a list of all hardware (knobs, hinges, etc).  It's demystifying the process.  Thank you for the recommendation.