Bent gas strut

Hey guys installed two of these 100n gas struts (1 didn’t hold it open). On first pull the ball bracket bent. Still seems to work but seems wrong. Do I just need a heavier weight or did I do it wrong?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PIUHHTE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_wN3wBb62DB784

957B7832-E7E6-4A27-8FC6-BCE9A4DB6A4E.jpeg

6462C606-258B-4DF8-ACF5-845C179A274C.jpeg

It appears that the angle the strut is at could be putting extra stress on the ball joints when the lid is raised, the way you have it most of the weight is being transferred to the joint. I would suggest adjusting the angle and choosing a heavier dudy strut if it needs to be replaced.

I am concerned that there is not clearance for the strut in the closed position because of the cross support you have on the lid. It looks to me like that piece contacted the strut (evidenced by the dents in the wood), and that bent the mounting bracket. 

Did you have the same issue on the other side?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

I would think that each end needs to be equidistant from the hinge joint, giving more support to the lid.

Agreed that it looks like with the position of the strut on the lid, you are asking that thing to do some serious work. Bring it a third up the kid and see how much easier it works.

Also make sure you have the clearance when closed. It looks like it may not.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:32 AM, Tpt life said:

Also, is the gas strut truly bent? Or is it just that pin at the end. The pin should be easy to replace even if you have to drill it out. 

its just the ball mount as far as I can tell, havent seen that part sold separate but maybe

On 7/27/2018 at 7:35 PM, Brendon_t said:

Agreed that it looks like with the position of the strut on the lid, you are asking that thing to do some serious work. Bring it a third up the kid and see how much easier it works.

Also make sure you have the clearance when closed. It looks like it may not.

ok was just going off of how they described to set it up in the manual but will try some different positions thanks

On 7/27/2018 at 6:45 PM, AnonymousAccountant said:

I am concerned that there is not clearance for the strut in the closed position because of the cross support you have on the lid. It looks to me like that piece contacted the strut (evidenced by the dents in the wood), and that bent the mounting bracket. 

Did you have the same issue on the other side?

same issue on both sides yes 

On 7/27/2018 at 6:20 PM, K Cooper said:

I would think that each end needs to be equidistant from the hinge joint, giving more support to the lid.

so move the lid mount point up and the base one closer to the hinge? 

If the struts otherwise work well (assist in opening, keep the lid from slamming shut), I’d leave them mounted where they are and notch out that horizontal piece to give them clearance. If you don’t want to do that, you could move both sets of mounting brackets toward the front of the chest so the lid mounts are in front of that horizontal piece. 

You can’t mount the brackets equidistant from the hinges. That would prevent the lid from closing.