Planer eastern oregon

EEstudent

https://kpr.craigslist.org/tls/d/powermatic-16-planer/6653813277.html

If your in eastern Oregon or Washington this looks like kind of a sweet deal. I just bought the 735 earlier this year. I am tempted to go get this thing and sell the 735. I assume this works and it might need new blades, but this thing looks like a serious beast. Also I wonder if it is really a 20 inch planer in width and the seller has listed it wrong. 5hp for a 16 inch seems like a bit overkill?

or spend another 300 for a VFD.   It's a beast of a machine, but without the blade grinding rig that they made for those, it will cost a couple of grand to swap out the cutterhead for a Shelix.  16 looks right.    They made that model in 12, 16, 18, and 24 inch.

Yep, Tom is right on the sizes. Im almost positive there was a 20" model in there, the 221. There is a 24" model close to me that is absolutely mint looking. For $4000, eh, not too interested. I havent used one of these Powermatic planers, but I know they are stout workhorses. They also occupy an enormous footprint for their capacity. 

Im not sure how many amps that 5hp motor draws, but im assuming its around 15 amps(3phase, keep in mind). If thats the case, you can get a VFD from Jack  shipped to you for under $400 including him walking you through how to wire it. Im doing that right this minute for a 20" griggio jointer i bought. 

I have a 16", with knife grinder, buried in a storage building here, but too hard to get to.  It was almost new when I bought it at an auction in the early '70's.

There was a 24" on CL, not far from here, for $1500, but no knife grinder.  I looked up the replacement head, and it was over 3 grand, so I didn't get it.

I'm glad you're getting the VFD from Jack.  Be sure to post pictures, please.

Haha I won’t count my chickens until they hatch. Still need it to get here from Long Island. Should be tomorrow. Pretty excited to get it in my space and get it running. Not looking forward to moving it.  20” wide, 106”ish long, and a tersa cutterblock. 

If you don’t mind the hassle of moving that machine, it’s better built with better features than a comparable new. Comparing that to my powermatic 209hh, I’m sure it weighs a few hundred pounds more. It has a segmented infeed roller, which mine does not. It should have a pressure bar, which mine does, but all 15”ers do not. I don’t know if I’d be interested for $800, but for $500, I might. That particular machine doesn’t look like it’s had the easiest life. 

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/d/delta-planer/6650472049.html

thats a good buy too if you ever see them for sale.  They usually had variable speed feeds, offer 9”+ In thickness, and are a heavy build. For just about any of these machines, you have to be prepared to move them and deal with an issue or two along the way.  About 95% of people see 3 phase and 1500lbs and that turns them away instantly.

I appreciate the education, I didn't know a knife grinder was a thing for these bigger machines. I think I'll contact the seller see if it comes with a knife grinder. I am leaning against it probably for now. I don't need this, it would be just really cool to have something like that. Plus I don't know how often this kind of stuff pops. At least in my part of rural America I haven't seen it too much.

The knife grinder bolts onto the top.   If it's not on there, it's most likely not there.  It's a heavy, cast iron track assembly.   Often, even if the track is on the machine, either the jointing block, or knife grinder (both slide back and forth on the track) are missing, which drops the value Way down.   A complete knife grinder assembly would be worth more than they're asking for that machine.  It lets you sharpen the knives on the machine, and eliminates having to install them perfectly.

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 76 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Skillfusian
    Newest Member
    Skillfusian