Give us this day our daily D'OH!

IMG_20180808_180925.thumb.jpg.113fb75bb5b88ea8d6bd57164d1c7dfe.jpg

This is a set of frames for jigsaw puzzles.  The design draws on the popular Arts & Crafts flourish of mimicking a Japanese torii.  Gentle curves with a horn-like flair up in the top corners.  The gentle curves are all from a single template, namely a 1 1/2" high arc over a length of 36".  The little flairs in the corners are traced with a trashcan lid.

What I was hoping would be the genius stroke in the design is that the top piece has a slot allowing the assembled puzzle to slide in from above.  Lots of puzzles come in standard sizes, so this would give me the option of building up a collection and rotating what puzzle gets displayed.

The d'oh moment, of course, is that I traced the little flairs upside down on one frame.

IMG_20180808_180925-001.thumb.jpg.010620c8d023b66e3bbcda57b5b78542.jpg

Options?  Really only two at this point:

1. Bust the frame apart (just pocket screws and a dab of glue) and make a new top and a new bottom.
  2. Find a way to make the frame load from below with the slot in the bottom.

I'm leaning towards option 2.  All it needs is a slip of wood that fits in the slot.  Load the puzzle in from below,  fill the slot with the slip and then have a pair of set screws in the back to hold the slip in place.

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

I'd just redo it.  I would end up running in enough circles otherwise, that it wouldn't be worth the time.

Perhaps.  But to my eye, it looks like the numbers work out in favor of coming up with a workaround.

• Option 1: Redo it.  I have to repair any damage to the sides (already finish sanded) caused by banging the frame apart.  I have to work two pieces of thicker, primary-grade stock. Thickness, resaw, make spacers, glue up to create the slot, curve, pattern rout, sand, etc.  And then I have to reassemble the frame.
  • Option 2: Make it load from below. I have to work one thin piece of secondary-grade stock and drill two holes in the back.