Wood Drawer Runners

houstonjc

How do you guys decide which kind of wooden drawer slides to use? I'm planning to build a walnut and bubinga sideboard with four drawers.

The drawers are going to be 21" wide x 15" deep, and range from 4" to 6" tall.

I'm considering either a webframe with drawers sliding directly on the frame, or a stopped dado with runners on the side.

The webframe seems like it would rack a little less (which I'm worried about given the width of the drawers), but could lead to in equal gaps at the top when the piece expands and contracts.

What would you do?

fullsizeoutput_1b24.thumb.jpeg.6a110cf3506354d47574ccbdd601fae8.jpeg

There are many good answers. My preference is to have the drawer sides made or 9/16" quartered oak, is where the contact is made. The center guide on the bottom of the drawer does not touch on the bottom, just side to side. I rub all contact areas with copious amounts of paraffin. The paraffin needs to be refurbished every now and then. The drawer will tell you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, houstonjc said:

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.  Gee-dub, are there benefits or detriments to chosing webframes vs side runners?  When would you use one over another?

k Cooper, I am indeed in Houston (Katy, actually).  Are you enjoying the heat this summer?

I tend to use side runners on smaller drawers.  Larger drawers ride on the frame.  Very large drawers ride on the frame with a center guide.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2018 at 2:23 AM, houstonjc said:

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.  Gee-dub, are there benefits or detriments to chosing webframes vs side runners?  When would you use one over another?

k Cooper, I am indeed in Houston (Katy, actually).  Are you enjoying the heat this summer?

I have only ever used drawer blades (frames). This is the traditional way. When I think of runners on drawers, I think of the kitchen :)

LCAStageCompleted_html_m459388d8.jpg

TheLastDovetail_html_590ca66b.jpg

On a recent build, I came up with an idea for an adjustable drawer stop that is simple to install ...

ApothecaryChestTheDrawersAreDone_html_aed0364.jpg

ApothecaryChestTheDrawersAreDone_html_1b9ecc78.jpg

I wish I had thought of this years ago.

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 2

Derek, the frames you pictured are open, but do you ever include panels to close them? One pet peeve of mine is that drawers without full seperation of jam each other if one is over-filled, or contains an odd shaped object that can turn and wedge itself. Fully seperated drawers at least limit the jam to a single drawer.

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Coop, I have only used dovetails as center guides on the bottom, I haven't and probably wouldn't use them on the sides.  It seems like there would be to much tendency for them to bind in that orientation.

Thanks. Mine will be on the bottom. 

31 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Derek, the frames you pictured are open, but do you ever include panels to close them? One pet peeve of mine is that drawers without full seperation of jam each other if one is over-filled, or contains an odd shaped object that can turn and wedge itself. Fully seperated drawers at least limit the jam to a single drawer.

It sounds like a good idea, but it's quite a bit of extra work, and it has rarely been an issue. Really. There is a simple solution - don't over fill drawers :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

• Like 1