Woodworking without woodturning

LazarusDB

New here, and in my original post I mentioned a lack of a lathe. Luckily, a friend of mine just got an ancient, huge lathe he wants me to drop by and see. A friend of 37 years, I think he might let me use it for the occasional piece. All I’d need to do is buy a few turning tools and give it a whirl. 

I agree with the black hole comment, as all my tools have that associated with them. Maybe not the table and bandsaw, but I have a ton of blades for both! 

I also agree with the post about it opening up a new facet of woodworking, and I’m always open for that. My little shop is stuffed pretty full of tools and benches though; space is always an issue once cost is addressed. 

When i see a lovely project with turned pieces, I imagine it without the turnings and done another way. Maybe that’s why I’m more of a G&G/craftsman style woodworker haha...

Quick update...I was given an Amazon gift certficate from work for my five year anniversary so I just ordered the Nova Comet II lathe. Dark Side, here I come. FYI, this lathe is $75 less (and free shipping with Prime) than Rockler. I still have my Rockler VIP coupons so I'm going to buy some Easy Wood turning tools tomorrow.