How I decide if I should buy more tools

Tom King

40 minutes ago, Tom King said:

That game was over a long time ago.   It got called on account of No Contest.    I just discovered last week that I own a surface grinder. 

Gotta love finding that one odd tool you own and never knew you had it right? This hasn't happened to me yet.

3 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Usually when looking for a place to put the new one away... 

So let me get this straight, because I am new to this.  If I need a tool, I should pretend I just bought one and am looking for a place to store it so I can find the one I already have?  This woodworking stuff  is complicated!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1. You will find the tool just after you bought a replacement.

2. You will see tool #1while looking for tool #2. Then when you look for tool #1, you can't remember where you saw it.

3. You will buy a tool and later ask yourself why  you bought it.

4. Your significant other will ask why you need all those tools. Your reply asks her why she needs all those shoes, dresses, and purses. You will then find yourself sleeping in the shop with all the tools for company.

5. You will eventually believe in the hereafter. This is when you walk into your shop and ask yourself, "Now what am I here after?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ronn W said:

So let me get this straight, because I am new to this.  If I need a tool, I should pretend I just bought one and am looking for a place to store it so I can find the one I already have?  This woodworking stuff  is complicated!

That, strangely enough, has happened to me several times. Love it when that happens. 

I was left a lifetime accumulation of machine tools by a dear friend that passed away in 2012.  He was a hoarder as well, so all the machining stuff is packed into a garage.  He didn't have any children, and his long time girlfriend doesn't have any use for that garage, so she told me to leave the stuff in there as long as I wanted to.   I look after that place when there's no one there, which is most of the time,  so it's not just a one way street.

Anyway, I was in there last week clearing out enough room to use one of the lathes, and in moving stuff, found that surface grinder that was previously buried.

Another friend of mine was left a bunch of golfclub tools in a similar situation.  He knows that I work on golf clubs, and have a fair assortment of tools, but that guy had a lot fancier stuff than I already had.   The friend tried working on his clubs with the equipment, ended up messing them up, and needed me to fix them.  He decided that the best thing to do would be to just bring me all the fancier stuff.

So it goes.