JohnG

My Garage Shop - Tour and Reorganization

Recommended Posts

John, that is really a neat looking setup you have there. Excellent job on the support tables and storage. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting finds while I was going through some boxes-

I had quite a stock of grinding wheels! I had a specific use for these and needed a nice sharp edge on the wheel, so I would only use them a couple times for that purpose. I didn't have much need for them otherwise.

IMG_6758.thumb.jpg.af8c069961ee3b8e7949bbe2812729f3.jpg

 

Anyone need #68 drill bits?? Each blue envelope contains 12 and each pack on the left contains 144. I've already given away about 1k of them in the past. These were included with the auction lot that I got the metal drawers in.

IMG_6800.thumb.jpg.306be47a9b97465a7b11c84f80376b96.jpg

 

These are cool. They are some sort of self contained set screw systems. I'm sure there's a better name for them. The screws are stored in the handle, which has a hex socket on the end. The screws have a hex cap that fits into the socket on the handle. Also included in the auction lot. Never found a use for them.

IMG_6802.thumb.jpg.90878e8ecc4c796b0d9f3729f6c518f7.jpg

Some sort of inspection lights? Also from the auction lot.

IMG_6803.thumb.jpg.d31f7825c514d249a662566c7d58dcd4.jpg

Yet another auction item. I was told it is an electric metal engraver. I'm always slightly worried it's going to explode while I'm using it. It gets very hot.

IMG_6760.thumb.jpg.7c83638754dac1fe891fd2e9671d9ac3.jpg

IMG_6778.thumb.JPG.ddbe452d58b0134c20675773c3d671a2.JPG

I had a machinist friend that I gave a lot of the auction items to - hundreds of taps and dies, large drill bits (1-3"), mill tools, metal gears, etc. This was all back when I thought that metal working was awesome and woodworking was lame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

John, that is really a neat looking setup you have there. Excellent job on the support tables and storage. 

Thanks! It's definitely coming along, and I'm figuring things out as I go. I'm looking forward to the day I have a more permanent setup, and can invest some more time and better materials into my shop setup.  At the same time, I'm grateful to have the space I have. The people who got me interested in woodworking would love to have a ~20'x20' space to work with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot one of the most important parts-

I also got this Kennedy toolbox at the auction. I had been using it for years as a normal toolbox, but roust recently switched it over to hold my hand tools (while they still fit in it). 

C1DF00FF-C755-4644-84FB-13C80059E62F.thumb.jpeg.f125f7becc7d072d35836bc5695f992d.jpeg

8D4C4D18-60A5-4EB0-AA6B-EF46E765FEF2.thumb.jpeg.c0b9b5462b6009ceb3f89b99d919e529.jpeg9060B279-570C-428C-9730-F9141B733A2D.thumb.jpeg.6cae331d679f1850d90f794fc9db4fff.jpeg4AE9E1E3-CA2E-42C2-B704-1527B25AAF22.thumb.jpeg.acffa75c161a5781c9c8c739c9becf10.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are plenty of folks on here that would like that size shop as well and they turn out some amazing pieces. Glad you’re hooked on Woodworking. But be aware, as it sounds like you already are, that you can never have enough toys or the best. It’s worse than quicksand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you have done a nice job with the shop. I remember how much fun it was.  I really like all the auction stuff also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shop got really messy and disorganized when I was preparing for potential flooding with hurricane Florence. We didn’t end up with bad weather at all, but better to be over prepared than under prepared. 

My lumber was about half an inch off the ground, with my Cherry on the bottom. I was worried we would get some water in the garage, so I restacked all of it on my table saw and assembly table. I also put my in-progress desk and (later) put some other tools on top as well. 

05618272-EC86-4AD8-BE38-AB44F4BFF21A.thumb.jpeg.29b21a792c5197c15330f61157dc4dda.jpeg

 

Having my only working surface covered by a couple hundred bf of lumber meant that I couldn’t really do anything in the shop. Plus, the other floor space was taken up by patio furniture and other stuff that’s normally in the yard. Since I was going to need to restack the lumber again, I took the opportunity to make some additional lumber storage brackets and install those. I have more, but was able to get by with two levels. 

 

154C2B7E-FC58-46EF-AF71-B0FA3B044766.thumb.jpeg.a270ea801e785f5279537b79aaee01ae.jpeg

The top level is Cherry and a few boards of Walnut. The lower is Poplar and a bit of Maple. I got a cheap moisture meter and found that my newest lumber was at about 10%, and the same as pieces I’ve had in the garage for about a year. I figured it was safe to stack unstickered, but then put a couple straps on the upper lumber to be safe. 

I wasn’t sure how much these brackets could hold, but found that one can easily support my weight (195lb), so I will probably run out of height before the brackets fail. After I stacked the lumber, I hung onto the wood and it didn’t mind, so I think they are plenty strong. 

Next up is organizing the few sheetgoods I have, then probably making a couple flip top carts or another workbench.  (And working on the desk)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wood is on average 3.75 lbs per BF so if you have 100 BF you not over 375 lbs if one bracket can hold 195 you are well within load capacity. That 3.75 lbs is based of maple so and species that is lighter gives you even less to worry about.

Nice rack btw It looks like a great lumber storage spot. I'm also happy to hear that you and your shop made it out safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Wood is on average 3.75 lbs per BF so if you have 100 BF you not over 375 lbs if one bracket can hold 195 you are well within load capacity. That 3.75 lbs is based of maple so and species that is lighter gives you even less to worry about.

Nice rack btw It looks like a great lumber storage spot. I'm also happy to hear that you and your shop made it out safe.

Thanks! Awesome, that is a good reference to know.  I made the rack from scraps and tried to minimize waste from the scraps, which is why there are several 'styles' in use.  The lower rack uses OSB to sandwich the 2x4, which I was unsure about, but it seems to be strong enough.

I have a lot of 12' boards, so I'm glad to have them up off the ground. It frees up a bunch of space, since before I just had dead space above the lumber.

It's odd- Some of the people around here that were evacuated, or chose to evacuate based on the original forecast, ended up mad that they left "for no reason." While there is some expense and inconvenience involved, I'd much rather have that than to have my house in 6' of water and trees falling on my house and cars (which would obviously be far more expensive and inconvenient).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Thanks! Awesome, that is a good reference to know.  I made the rack from scraps and tried to minimize waste from the scraps, which is why there are several 'styles' in use.  The lower rack uses OSB to sandwich the 2x4, which I was unsure about, but it seems to be strong enough.

I have a lot of 12' boards, so I'm glad to have them up off the ground. It frees up a bunch of space, since before I just had dead space above the lumber.

It's odd- Some of the people around here that were evacuated, or chose to evacuate based on the original forecast, ended up mad that they left "for no reason." While there is some expense and inconvenience involved, I'd much rather have that than to have my house in 6' of water and trees falling on my house and cars (which would obviously be far more expensive and inconvenient).

I've dealt with a few natural disasters it was probably every other spring as a kid we'd have groups of people that would get together to fill sand bags and then form lines to stack them to keep back snow melt floods. I've found that people are just angry no matter what and the disaster or lack there of brings it out. It's always a small percentage of the population but they are so unpleasant that it seems like there are more of them. They would be angry if they won't a million dollars because they'd have to pay taxes on the winnings and that it wasn't 2 million.

I have to share it because flooding was so common some one made a weird octopus machine to aid in the filling of sand bags. here is a link to an article that shows it. https://www.mprnews.org/story/2013/04/03/news/fargo-sandbags-red-river-flooding. Glad i don't have to do that any more but there were some fun times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I've dealt with a few natural disasters it was probably every other spring as a kid we'd have groups of people that would get together to fill sand bags and then form lines to stack them to keep back snow melt floods. I've found that people are just angry no matter what and the disaster or lack there of brings it out. It's always a small percentage of the population but they are so unpleasant that it seems like there are more of them. They would be angry if they won't a million dollars because they'd have to pay taxes on the winnings and that it wasn't 2 million.

I have to share it because flooding was so common some one made a weird octopus machine to aid in the filling of sand bags. here is a link to an article that shows it. https://www.mprnews.org/story/2013/04/03/news/fargo-sandbags-red-river-flooding. Glad i don't have to do that any more but there were some fun times.

Very very true. As an accountant I find a lot of humor in some of the common money/tax complaints.

Interesting contraption!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always Inc of fun to set up a shop. But I find after two years in my new house I'm still setting up. Never quite done :) I have the Ridgid contractor saw, I forgot the model number. It's quiet, smooth, and has plenty of 110V power for a 10" saw. And a 4" dust port on the bottom.

I have the same DC; put a Wynn Nano filter on it and it suits,y hobby fine. A cyclone would be smart, but also takes a little CFM from the system so I haven't done that yet. I'm not likely to spend the $$ tbh. I can empty the bag into a lawn and leaf bag and after three years owning it I'm still on the first bag :) 

You can never make enough use of wall space. I don't envy you having to move in three years....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JohnG, I like your approach in seeing if the bug would bite you and then proceeding from there.  What sort of pieces will you be making in your shop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

It's always Inc of fun to set up a shop. But I find after two years in my new house I'm still setting up. Never quite done :) I have the Ridgid contractor saw, I forgot the model number. It's quiet, smooth, and has plenty of 110V power for a 10" saw. And a 4" dust port on the bottom.

I have the same DC; put a Wynn Nano filter on it and it suits,y hobby fine. A cyclone would be smart, but also takes a little CFM from the system so I haven't done that yet. I'm not likely to spend the $$ tbh. I can empty the bag into a lawn and leaf bag and after three years owning it I'm still on the first bag :) 

You can never make enough use of wall space. I don't envy you having to move in three years....

I’ve been happy with the DC. At some point I’ll get a Thien baffle and try it that way, but it’s been doing well so far. After planing down some 3/4+” boards to 1/2”, my bag is 3/4 full. 

And we have been here for a year alsready, so it’s just two more till we move. Not looking forward to packing up. 

44 minutes ago, sjeff70 said:

JohnG, I like your approach in seeing if the bug would bite you and then proceeding from there.  What sort of pieces will you be making in your shop

Mostly furniture projects for the house, and some smaller projects for our daughter. I made a large executive desk for myself, working on a desk for my wife, plans for a bookshelf, bed frame, and maybe the gaming dining table or some variation of it. For my daughter I made a bassinet stand, bookshelf, small step stool, the TWW kids kitchen step stool, etc. 

I’ve also done turning projects like pens, pull knobs, small bowls. 

Whatever catches my interest or that we need. I’m also considering doing some  batches of small projects to help fund new tools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah if I can get decent performance from a Thien setup I'll do it. The Dust Deputy for $200 isn't a bad deal, I've almost pulled the trigger a few times. But I'd rather spend the money on quartersawn white oak :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked at those John, and after reading Thien's page I didn't think they quite came up to par with what his théories were. Then again, it's gotta be better than the straight shot you get with a HF DC. *shrug*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now