Pine

mat60

I had a guy stop by the shop and ask me to rip up a some 1x6 pine 3 days ago.  That afternoon and the next day I wasn't feeling well.   Yesterday I got the pine  scrap out of the shop and cleaned up the floor and the dust collection bags and in 15 min I felt way better.  As I look back it this has happen before.   I was wondering if there is any wood that doesn't agree with you..

No stain Tom.  Its always the pine lumber yard stuff that's not very dry and has a strong smell.  It makes me feel like I have the flue and in the restroom allot.  Kind of had me worried a bit thinking ( oh no now what). Ha Ha.   Im glad I can most always talk them into a hardwood.   Coop your right... (Just say no to pine)  :)

4 minutes ago, woodbutcher74 said:

I have an immediate reaction to Cedar and Zebrawood. My chest starts feeling tight and it feels like I need to cough. Even with a good respirator. Too bad too, I bought a couple of beautiful Zebrawood boards and now they just sit on my lumber rack.

That is sad, you should return them to the herd, I'm about to start some zebra wood bar stools ; )

6 minutes ago, woodbutcher74 said:

I have an immediate reaction to Cedar and Zebrawood. My chest starts feeling tight and it feels like I need to cough. Even with a good respirator. Too bad too, I bought a couple of beautiful Zebrawood boards and now they just sit on my lumber rack.

If it's bothering you with a respirator then, I would either question the respirator/cartridges being used or the fit of that respirator.

9 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

If it's bothering you with a respirator then, I would either question the respirator/cartridges being used or the fit of that respirator.

It's probably not the respirators fault. I have a full beard and stache. Had them both since 1976 and not going anywhere. I have cover as much of this ugly mug as I can. No other wood bothers me like this so I'll just use other types of lumber.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, woodbutcher74 said:

It's probably not the respirators fault. I have a full beard and stache. Had them both since 1976 and not going anywhere. I have cover as much of this ugly mug as I can. No other wood bothers me like this so I'll just use other types of lumber.

That would certainly do it..  As someone who uses/assigns/permits/fit tests people for a living, I get a real chuckle out of people who attempt to wear a respirator with a beard.  

If the dust from those species are bothering you, you're also getting exposed to the same amount of dust from other species.

To each their own, your choices are yours and I'm not interested in being the PPE police!  Just some education if you want it.

Cocobolo gave my grandfather nose bleeds & a rash on his arms. Respirator, long sleeves & gloves let him finish the project but he said that's enough after that. 

Kev is a safety professional so he knows respirators better than most.  Maybe the hardwood supplier will let you swap the Zebrawood for something else?

• Like 1