it pays to be april wilkerson

blackoak

7 minutes ago, blackoak said:

1+ . I can't find any info on that cyclone. Is it new? The cost ?There is nothing on ClearVue's website.

I haven't done the homework yet but, it sounds pretty close to what I have with the increased size of the impeller.  This was an option on the 1800 that I chose.  Also, I notice that she went with a 8" main duct where the recommendation for mine was a 7" main.  I also went with the Nordfab so, as near as I can tell so far, there's not much difference between hers and what I've installed in my shop.

27 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

Props to her for her success!

She's pretty lacking as a woodworker but, give her plenty of accolades for her business savvy!

I think she's actually a pretty decent wood worker her audience just doesn't let her show it and she panders to the lower level that the vocal part of her audience is at.

• Like 1

Well I have something to say about April.  1- She has a new shop.  2- She makes more money than I do.  3- She is better looking that me.     I did just look at her workbench build and I don't see where she has improved much on her builds but maybe that's what is working.

• Like 2

Just now, Chestnut said:

I think she's actually a pretty decent wood worker her audience just doesn't let her show it and she panders to the lower level that the vocal part of her audience is at.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. I give her credit in that she's learning and soaking up info well but, she's not there yet.

On the business front, she's certainly smarter than most of us here for sure! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ..Kev said:

We'll have to agree to disagree there. I give her credit in that she's learning and soaking up info well but, she's not there yet.

On the business front, she's certainly smarter than most of us here for sure! 

I guess maybe she has stumbled since i stopped following her. She did a few projects that were on the edge of decent skill with through tenons and proper wood choice then she brought out paint and covered up the decent attempt at proper woodworking. I told her in the comments section that she was on the cusp of transition from trendy to good woodworking and to keep it up. I got a scornful response directly from her and stooped following immediately.

1 minute ago, Chestnut said:

I guess maybe she has stumbled since i stopped following her. She did a few projects that were on the edge of decent skill with through tenons and proper wood choice then she brought out paint and covered up the decent attempt at proper woodworking. I told her in the comments section that she was on the cusp of transition from trendy to good woodworking and to keep it up. I got a scornful response directly from her and stooped following immediately.

Yep..  Similar journey with Jay Bates really.  Jay followed a different path and (to me) has become a much better woodworker for it.

Just now, blackoak said:

She's not Paul Sellers , Neither am I . Some free tools are what bother me.

Ah..  Don't begrudge her success..  She put in the work and gets the clicks that attract those willing to donate tools.  You just have to understand as you click on those videos that you're contributing to that success.  There's no shame in that but, if you find yourself not getting anything other than entertainment from clicking on the videos, you have to question yourself, not her.

• Like 1

Just now, blackoak said:

Kev , I hear ya.  She is motivated no doubt . Honestly , I don't follow her much. When your my age you fall asleep watching youtube now and then . I saw the new cyclone when I awoke,  the video was playing 

It's all good..  Your post got me to go check out her video as well.  I don't follow her but, don't judge those that do.

13 minutes ago, blackoak said:

Kev , do have any info on that metal DC

Yep..  It's Nordfab and, as she says, is very expensive!  It's super nice but, at a price!  To put that in perspective, I paid more for the piping than I did the DC itself by a bunch!

You can contact Nordfab directly or go through Clear View and they'll assist you with the design of your system.  There's an upfront fee but, if you purchase their ducting, that fee comes off of the price.

1 hour ago, blackoak said:

sounds like you have a killer DC also. I didn't know clearvue made anything metal. That was the surprise for me. Kev, is your DC metal ?

My apologies for missing this..   Clearview doesn't make the piping, it's made by Nordfab.  Yes, my piping is Nordfab.

If you look through Marc's previous shop build, you'll see that he also went with Nordfab piping and I think there's an installation video on the topic.

I've been watching her videos almost from the start and thoroughly enjoy them.  Her energy and enthusiasm is very good.  Yet in all the videos I've seen there hasn't been a single thing I've wanted to replicate, methodology to incorporate into my shop, or project that I was just dying to go build.  I admire her drive and dedication whether she's doing 'fine woodworking' or not.

If I had her income and the opportunity and space to build a shop that size it would be entirely different in layout and purpose but she's built the shop she wants and I look forward to her future videos and projects.

David

I got no prob with her or what she does. I don't care for companies dumping all their products on people because they have a few hundred thousand followers. Another crappy version of advertising. And you are rewarding people for being popular, no other reason. It's easy to get annoyed when you see someone that is lacking in skill (whether because they truly don't have it or they just haven't had a chance to hone it yet) getting all the products when you gotta save up all year for them because of other life responsibilities. 

I also have issue with people that point a camera at themselves, slap it on you tube and make a living from it. Which differs from those that are actually teaching. I think our culture is infatuated with celebrities, and always willing to manufacture some more. 

I don’t follow her much anymore, but occasionally watch a video of her’s when it pops up and looks interesting. She’s not the ‘finest’ woodworker on youtube, but her skills are always expanding and improving. Whether or not she is capable of finer woodworking, she has picked a good avenue of appealing to the broader range of crafty makers as well as getting a foot into the door of more specific interests. 

You can’t knock her for getting all the sponsors and deals she does. She works hard and works smart. She may get a boost by being a female in a field largely dominated by males, and sponsors are quick to jump on board, but it’s not completely without merit. 

The companies are smart for sponsoring channels like April’s. For a relatively low cost to them, they are advertising to a huge audience, many of whom are likely new to the craft and are going to buy some equipment. If they can imprint their brand in the minds of those people, even just a tiny percentage of those people, they are making good money. There’s no money in giving Joe Woodworker free equipment so he can tell a handful of woodworking friends that he got free stuff. If you’re opposed to the companies focusing on profit and ROI, that’s a different problem.

I watched a lot of Steve Ramsey, Jay Bates, and April when I first got into following the youtube woodworking scene. I still follow Jay because he has really stepped up his furniture quality, but stopped following Steve and April when I realized their projects are more on the crafty DIY end of the spectrum (though i have no idea what kind of stuff Steve is making these days). I think of their channels along the lines of I Like To Make Stuff and Make Something- not fine woodworking, but occasionally interesting. 

• Like 1