it pays to be april wilkerson

blackoak

Hey guys: 

total newbie here here but I'll leave you with this perspective.... What got me here and tied into fine wood working projects and learning from folks like you guys was first doing some things from sites like Amy Wilkerson's and even Fix this Build That. For me.... I had never heard of The Wood Whisperer or Makers Space etc. and was learning from YouTube and books and no one around me that new the skill. But through the start up videos you get hooked and keep looking for something more in line with what you are wanting to do and that lead me here so I think there is a time and place for these types of YouTubers but that's my .02 lol and I totally wish a tool fairy would come and drop free tools my way for sure! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/11/2018 at 9:44 PM, wtnhighlander said:

You guys, don't forget - April is married to a gainfully employed engineer. She may be doing alright with sponserships, ad-sense, and so forth, but that ginormous shop isn't all just for her. He has a motorhead hobby to feed, too.

Well said. Thank you. That little observation is frequently overlooked.

That shop plus the tools in it had to cost a very pretty penny and AdSense and sponsorships don’t pay THAT much. I had a very successful personal finance blog from 2007 to 2014, and up until Google changed all their algorithms, I made anywhere from $1000-$4000 per month. After the algorithm changes and the infamous “Panda” update, I made four dollars per month. When Google controls the paychecks and determines how many views you’ll get, one simple change to their algorithm can have a devastating impact to your checking account. 

Like Marc Spagnuolo once said, “If YouTube is your business, you don’t have a business.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2020 at 3:10 PM, Ron0126 said:

Well said. Thank you. That little observation is frequently overlooked.

That shop plus the tools in it had to cost a very pretty penny and AdSense and sponsorships don’t pay THAT much. I had a very successful personal finance blog from 2007 to 2014, and up until Google changed all their algorithms, I made anywhere from $1000-$4000 per month. After the algorithm changes and the infamous “Panda” update, I made four dollars per month. When Google controls the paychecks and determines how many views you’ll get, one simple change to their algorithm can have a devastating impact to your checking account. 

Like Marc Spagnuolo once said, “If YouTube is your business, you don’t have a business.”

I average about 1 cent per view from plans, YouTube, and Amazon affiliates and if April makes similar then she is doing incredibly well. She probably makes quite a bit more per view because she has a lot more revenue streams than I.  She had 5 million views last month, do the math.

I watch car videos like Shmee150 and Stradman and those guys are buying supercars right and left, building houses, buying land, etc. and they say their income is largely based on YouTube. 

Shmee has just under 2 million subscribers with over 3,900 videos and views in the 150k and up per video with many in the 500k and higher range.  Stradman has about 2.4 million subscribers with about 750 videos and regularly hits over 1 million views per video.  April has 278 videos with 1.14 million subscribers and each video gets viewed at least 100k times but many are pushing 1 million and some are over that number.

They're all doing quite well from YouTube and other merchandising, ad support, and branding their names generate.  My little YouTube channel has over 750 subscribers, about 80 videos, and the total views from all of those videos equal about one of the lower viewed videos from the folks above.  Rest assured, I'm not making a dime from YouTube and don't even meet the threshold for seeking monetization.  Plus, it takes me too long to produce my mediocre videos to ever make any money at it! :D

David